Pod Your Reef

sand sifter?

babygirl

What is a good sand sifter for a 10 gallon tank? Also if I get normal rock and I put it in my tank , how long does it take to become LR usually? Thanks guys

i got one of these in my 20 (diamond goby)

diamondgoby8.JPG

excellent sand sifter.  they can get kinda big, mine's about 5 inches long now.  does a great job keeping the sand clean.  likes to make a home out of the live rock.  will move stuff around all day long.  mine can be semi-territorial sometimes, but doesn't hurt anything.  doesn't like the hermits on the sand too much.  might get kinda big for a 10, just try to buy a small one.  mine was about 3 inches long when i got it about 9 months ago.    hth

oh, as far as the live rock question, it will have to be seeded with live critters to become true live rock.  i'd just go ahead and get some good quality live rock.  you could get away with base rock and a couple pounds of good quality lr to seed it, but why not just get 10 lbs of good rock to start.  would take a while to seed rock that isnt already alive.  jmo hth

(Edited by byrself at 5:31 pm on May 25, 2002)

(Edited by byrself at 5:35 pm on May 25, 2002)

quiksilver5768

IMO, it takes awhile for rock to become live. In my 40 gal it took about 8 months until I noticed tubeworm and coraline growth on my lace rock...

I wouldnt' suggest skimpping in that area. Usually live rock helps seed the sand, I don't know where or what type of sand you would want, but nothing is going to replace live rock, that would blow the whole point of biological filtration... try skimpping somewhere else... hth,

gaber

quiksilver5768

Im actually also intrested in what type of invert would act as a good sand sfiter..? I was looking at sand sifting stars but my question is that do they really help in sifting the sand around and also...does the substrate have to be ALL sand in order for them to get around. Mine is a mixtue of sand and aragonite shells....??

Pistol Shrimps are like little bulldozers.  They move sand and shells around all day.  But they might move it too much.   I've heard that they will try and rearrange your entire tank.

Archived