Top Shelf Aquatics

Copepods

JJshiv

Is there a way to raise copepods? I guess I should say what conditions are best for their fastest reproduction? My target goby is still fat but I have noticed a considerable drop in pods in my tank since I added him. I have another tank with nothing in it right now and I was thinking of turing it into a live food production tank.

Ive thought about it, but I dont think I have room for one. The hang on back ones look like they would be the best for me but I have limited space between the wall and my aquarium. I will look into it and see what I can do. If I do get one will the pods just reproduce in there and then come out into the main tank by themselves?

some algae (micro & macro) can also help. some larger substrate granules promote larger pods. make sure you have sufficient ca/alk levels too. don't forget iodine as well (be careful of overdosing).

JJshiv,

Same thing happed to me - I added a 6-line wrasse a few months ago, & the little guy wiped out all visible 'pods within a few days. Prompted me to add a refugium (hang-on) to slowly build back the pod population.

Also, there are websites that sell 'pod kits for around $60. I'm about to do it myself.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

i have a q tank set up and i went and stuck a used filter from the main tank in it after a while i noticed pods and snails poppin up in the q tank so i let them go and it is loaded with them. i use a soda bottle with some food in it the pods go in and i dump them back in the main tank. i wasnt plannin it that way but i guess the filter was loaded with pods and there eggs. kinda turned into a off side refugium plus i have a qtank if i ever need it.

Archived