ReefCleaners.org

question.......

twflys

Is there such a thing as "dry" live rock? I've got an offer for 15 lbs of "dry" live rock for $50/free shipping. Sound like a good deal?

Thanks,

twflys

Yes, there is such a thing as "dry" rock. Of course, it will need an extensive curing period and at $3.33/lb, it seems a bit pricey. Depending upon your location, you might be able to simply purchase some liverock at your LFS for a bit more. I know around here, I can purchase liverock for around $3.99/lb, although it's not the best looking stuff.

CRG is right. You can get cured live rock for the same price and good live rock for only a dollar or two more per pound. IMO I would get the best live rock I could for my tank. It is a very important part of your tank.

tw,

Just curious, this isn't the "dry live rock" that was/is on Ebay is it? If so, the word "live" belongs nowhere in the description. It's just plain 'ol rock of a calcerous nature, plain 'ol DEAD rock of a calcerous nature I should say. You can place in in your tank and it will be populated with bacteria in a relatively short period of time which is a start to turning it back into live rock but for it to be really flourishing with life is a long process... As the others have said, I would rather spend that 50 for good, fresh live rock, especially if you are talking about a nano. Now if it's for a larger tank and you just are looking for some stuff as filler fine but still pricey.... the "free shipping" isn't really free when you get right down to it. Even at inflated LFS prices I've seen the "dry" rock available at around two bucks a pound.

Resources invaluable here....... saved me. Yup, it was the one on Ebay, I emailed the guy and said his rock didn't look very alive to me, that's when he offered to give me what i need (15lbs) and free shipping.... thanks, now I'll steer clear. And all others beware!

twflys

I can buy the "dead rock," just like live rock without and Coraline algae for $1.19/lb. at the LFS. I turns live pretty quick if you seed it with a good piece of live rock.

Archived