Innovative Marine Aquariums

Protien Skimmer. Yes or No?

CurvBall

I'm in the planning stages of my nano-reef (100l). I've noticed many people do not have skimmers on their set-ups. I'm currently running a 55g FOWLR tank using a DIY venturi skimmer I made. What about a sump on a nano reef? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do a search before you ask any question on this board. You'll usually find the answer before you need to ask everyone. The skimmer issue has been talked about a lot and people are sick of discussing it.

FWIW, about half use skimmers, half don't. Skimmers are good because they remove lots of crap (DOS) from the water and they help oxegynate it, and sometimes help with the clarity of your water especially at the surface. They might be bad because they might remove helpful stuff from the water and it is difficult to know if they are. In addition, some nano-reefers believe that they can export enough crap through water changes to negate their lack of a skimmer. This is about the extent of the basic discussion on the subject.

IMO I like my skimmer. I'm glad I put it in.

I have one on my 30g but IMO i don't like skimmers for tanks under 40g. big waist of $$, water changes are all you need.

I use mine for a couple of days prior to water change... but really its a big waist of money for a NANO - Seriously for a nano, i don't think anyone would reallly debate this.(for nano! i don't need no flames) BUT if you have the $ and just like to add another addition to your setup to mess around with then by all means.

See, this is what I'm talking about. There is a survey in the polls section. Turns out people are about half and half whether to use skimmers in nanos or not. IMO non-skimmer nano-reefers tend to be more vocal about their choice not to skim and so it'll seem as if no one uses them, but don't be fooled its about half and half.

Like I said, I didn't have one on my 5g for a few months and I like things much better now that I have it, and I do at least 20% weekly wc. The surface of my water is clear now (used to get film). I can feed my meat eating corals now with less fear that I will foul the water. One consensus seems to be that if you only keep stuff like xenia that doesn't really need to be fed and you don't feed your tank, skimming isn't as helpful. In tanks with a lot of carnivours (LPS, SPS), feeding and consequently skimming can be helpful.

If you look at the members section, some really beautiful tanks don't have skimmers, but I like mine.

chvy,

imo even if you don't keep heavy feeder corals a skimmer is beneficial. heavy slimers and such will add a lot of crappie into the water column too. in addition lots of peeps tend to have multiple fish for nanos so again skimmers can keep crappie at a minimum.

I agree Tiny. Ideally I would skim for any size reef I kept no matter what corals I kept, though as the tank gets smaller it becomes more logistically difficult.

I was just trying to sum up some of the arguments about the issue so curv could get up to speed on the skimmer debate.

Seriously for a nano, i don't think anyone would reallly debate this

LOL, you spoke too soon. i will debate it BIG TIME. IMO i think a skimmer is benificial in ANY TANK!! specially a small nano and even more so if you are a newbie. think about how many people over feed, get cyano or other nasties and then wonder why. skimmers can HELP limit this. you just need to find the right size for your tank. if you have a small tank use a small skimmer..if you have a bigger tank w/ just softies use a smaller skimmer to skim lighter if you are worried. me i would rather feed heavy and skim hard...seems to get the most growth. i think you can get the nutrients in but limit the excess build up of them w/ the skimmer

Lunchbucket

y'know, i was wondering who was going to finally pick up that gauntlet that cat tossed down and how long it would take. :D i'm definitely pro-skimmer and a search of threads should support chvy's statement of the 50/50 split so i didn't bother to 'pick it up'.

btw i may take your advice, lunch, and start that sps tank in a couple of months. i've got the light and the basic ideas but still pondering on the tank/system config. ;)

I couldn't agree more with lunchbucket. When you compare the amount of plankton in a coral reef with what is in our tanks, we are simply not providing an adequate food web in many cases. It is very difficult to sustain such a web in our little tanks, but at least if we feed hard, and then skim hard, we can supplant parts of the food web.

LOL should have worded that better :P. (funny i've run nano's with and without - and always liked the results better without, or at least my corals did (flower pot)??? thought this was the common consensus. my bad.

hey lunch,

i may just take you up on that offer but that tank would be months away anyway.

i've got another nano tank in mind right now, a reef cliff format. so i'll be doing softies (surprise) and gorgons most likely for it. maybe eventually a sea pen when i think it's 'grown-in' enough.

For info on how efficient skimmers are at removing different nutrients check out Ron Shimek's article in Dec. 2002 on-line aquarium magazine (link found on Reef Central). The amount of stuff actually exported by skimming was amazing.

Your choices are little in and little out or lot in and lot out...so if you would like your charges to be fat, happy, and grow...go with lot in and lot out.

I've gone skimmerless for the past 11 months but decided to add an airstone driven skimmer to my 10 gal. All I have to say is I'm NEVER going skimmerless again.

I mean i think the reason people dont use skimmers is because they dont want to invest the money. But in reality i dont see how it can be a bad thing- especialy if you diy for your on paticular purpose and se-up.

I run a skimmer on my nano(I had an old hang-on skimmer used on a 55g lying around so I added it about a month ago) and so far it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I mean it pulls out a hell of a lot of crap(filles up the collection cup about every two days) although nothing seems to be doing any better or worse since the addition. Maybe in a few more months I'll see a difference in coral growth or something but so far nothing really.

Personally I really dont think they're needed at all(just look at Physh1's old 20g if you want proof, that tank was simply amazing) but they cant hurt. I would recommend one for a tank with a heavey bioload though definatly......

| ReEFnEwB1E |

I have seen what skimmers can do for tanks with them and have seen tanks w/o them and I would recommend going with skimmer only if your tank is bigger then 20 gallons. IMHO anything below 20G. is better just to have a refugium and do weekly waterchanges which is enough for the trace elements and to remove ammonia, nitrite & nitrates.

I will be currently setting up a 30T because I am one of those people who luv to just have alot of stuff in their tanks. SoOoOOo, I will be going with a CPR BAK PAK 2R skimmer for it since I know I'm not to religious on the waterchanges. I think what one of the members said is true about the skimmers: take into consideration that if you OVER FEED and also have Corals that feed heavily on meaty foods and not to mention you have more then 1 Fish then a Skimmer would help out alot on a tank like this. ;)

Archived