ReefCleaners.org

PO4-Minus...anyone use it?

ross76053

I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. I currently am skimmerless but, if the chit works, I would add a skimmer and use the chems. I have some cyano that just loves to pop up in the same place every time I remove it (too lazy to use the jug of NoCyaNo that I bought, hell too lazy to water change either been close to two months now) and the hair is still around, although not nearly as bad as it was. My newest problem is a macro outbreak that appears to be halimeda. I am strongly considering a baby tang for the tank but that would mean I would have to do water changes daily until the algae is gone and then I would move the tang to a different tank.

Sadly, I am finding more time for the tank since I have developed a cold and some funky rash I got from some shirts I wore without washing first ( clean and in the wrapper but damned if I didn't get the bumps and itch all over the elbows and around the pits). I know, way too much information but I felt the need to vent that it sucks that I haven't held my daughter in two frickin days now. My wife prepares the bottle and I sit and talk to my daughter, trying to stop her crying when I know that picking her up will be the magic touch. Man, if you want to know pain, sit and stare at a wailing child while you are helpless and she stares up at you with those big blue eyes, begging to be held.

Ok, I ranted and changed the subject, so to sum up, Ross, please keep us updated so that we can hear how this stuff works.

Hey Ross,

I used the PO4 minus and the NO3 minus. Both live up to thier claims. I was qutie satisfied. The PO4 minus works very fast and it DOES work. I tried the Kent and Seachem phosphate sponges and for the life of me the only thing they soaked up was money. The PO4 works in fact watch your nitrates also. THe po4 will lower that. I had both on order the NO3 was on back order by the time it came in the PO4 had taken care of my phosphates and Nitrates. Only problem was my Toadstool closed for a while and made a bit of slime but it recovered with no ill affects. The other problem is i have these two almost full bottles of po4 and NO3 that get used like once a month for MX not that i need it but i feel guilty having it and not using it. HTH. In a Nut shell the PO4 and the NO3 both do what they claim , but you must have a skimmer for them to work which tells me they are actually exporting phosphate rather than just "holding on" to them while they media sits in your tank. Which is the case with the Kent and the seachem phosphate sponges. They claim they do not leach po4 back into the water but the best way to prevent po4 leaching into the tank is to REMOVE it from the tank, which the PO4 minus does via the foam in the skimmer.

Crakeur,

Yup - I'll keep you posted. Heck, if the stuff works, I'll send you some...as I'm sure I'll never use the large amount I'm getting.

Sounds like you're really hooked on your daughter. Awesome...

apophis924,

I'm hoping it works for me as well. I'm a bit concerned because I visited several other reef-type boards, searched for PO4-minus and came up with nothing. The stuff has been around for a few years, and I'm surprised nobody's talking about it (besides us).

I didn't order the NO3 remover 'cause I've never had a problem with it.

On a completely different note, I bought a Fighting Conch today from the LFS & acclimated him over a four-hour period. He's a busy little guy & fun to watch.

Ross

Ross, i know what you mean, I didnt hear much about this stuff either, But after the poor performance i had with those other phosphate sponges i figured whats a few more dollars down the drain. It will cloud your warter for a while about 30 minutes it will be slightly cloudy but clears up fast. Just remember that removing algae thru starvation is not always the best way, since algae is more aggressive at getting nutrients than corals are if the algea starves so do the corals. Best way is to have a clean up crew eat it away then, reduce available nutirents to near zero levels. I think most people go wrong by trying to starve out a bloom after it has started. Better to remove the Bloom then keep the nutrients low. Just my two cents which after starting this hobby is all i have left to give. :)

None of my corals eat algae (don't know any that do), so I'm not concerned about it's removal. And I'm just not impressed with my cleanup crew. Mostly they just loiter. The snails get a small amount of algae from the glass & rock, but obviously don't touch the hair.

The crabs are probably thinkin', "Man, if the snails aren't gonna eat it, I'm not touchin' it either!".

And my detritus continues to build on my sand bed - nothing's taking care of it, either. I think a 'pod kit is in order.

Archived