SaltCritters.com

red and green algae

zibnata

I have green algae on the glass that I clean off the front and sides. Red and green on back glass and equipment.What is the preference on the back glass ,etc ? Clean off the algae or leave it ? Is this algae good ?

Red coraline or red cyano? Is the red starting to grow in little circles, or is it like a mat? Coraline is not good nor bad, it just is. It would be if you like the look of it or not. It usually is like a status symbol for a well established tank that is doing good. If you like it, keep it, if not, scrape it off. The red, on the other hand, if it is "slimey", is not a good thing to have in your tank and is actually a bacteria growth more commonly known as cyano. If it is on the back I would figure you do not have a power head blowing along the back of the reef which would cause stagnent dead spots which cyano thrive in. Determine what it is and get some flow behind your rocks if you don't have any now.

its starting to grow in little circles.I have a power head pointing to the top front. Should I point one towards the back ? Will it be too much current for the fish ?

Well the circle/disk looking stuff is good and is probably coraline and not the cyano I mentioned. The power head would have been for more circulation to help destroy cyano. I can't see your rock work, so I can't determine if you may have any dead spots or not. It is just that sometimes, people have all the circulating water blowing all around the front of the rock wall and the back of the rocks is stagnent which is not good. The way I aquascape with rock is I basically make a slope from the front lower glass all the way across up to the rear top of the glass all the way across. Doing things this way, I have powerheads blowing across the rear side of the reefs to keep the other side of my tanks flowing. Again, I can't see what you have, and you may have flow everywhere and don't need any additional flow.

Archived