Cultivated Reef

CALLING ALL TANG POLICE!

travisurfer

but it wasnt stocked properly. How are they not purposely misleading? They could have stocked a 30 or 55 gal but then they couldnt have said "only $50!"

(I am finding this arguement fun and good natured, thanks for prolonging your headache)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad thing is many big tank reefers I know still give me grief about nanos and I have a 29g. Information is the key, that ad and actually most of the garbage info Tetra puts out is the problem, the reason this site is here is for information - remember we are the "minority" in reef keeping.

My 12 Gage, 4-10, and 22 Cal Long Rifle, not yours!!!!!!

I like squirl hunting :D They taste realy good in a stew, seariously.

I like em' if you cook em' in a roasting bag.

btw, any yall have a 44 magnum?

No 44 here but I miss my old hunting rifle...

Mossberg 10 guage bolt action slug gun with a rifled barrel, sight and 5 round clip.

10" Red Devil
Sad thing is many big tank reefers I know still give me grief about nanos and I have a 29g. Information is the key, that ad and actually most of the garbage info Tetra puts out is the problem, the reason this site is here is for information - remember we are the "minority" in reef keeping.

There probably jealous because they spend loads of money on their big tank because they really bought into the hype that "You have to have a bigger tank in order to be successful" so to make themselves feel better they poke fun of your tank in order to help their insecurities. :D

My Gansta Gun :D

_|..____________________, ,

/ `---___________----_____|]

/_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/

), ---.(_(__) /

// (..) ), ----"

//___//

// //

), ---.(_(__) /

// (..) ), ----"

//___//

// //

wow that took some time and imagination...you rock

That's an awesome gif.

I didn't read this thread...Too much bull######. I think we can all agree that, long story short, a big-name company putting out some major bs clearly is doing the environment, the hobby, and us reefers a major disservice. BUT oh well.

What an excellent misrepresentation.

Why not put a cross hatch trigger in there and a handfull of shrimp and a couple eels.

Moronic Media. There is enough regarding this hobby to make a TV show. Running a pathetic 10 min. segment on a day show to spark some sales is pathetic and disgusting.

I would personally like to slap that representative of whatever company she's trying to pimp her products for.

Irresponsible.

Take all advertisement with a grain of salt. If you start slapping, you will have to slap all those diet and diet pill related people, workout equipment people, and all those cheesy infomercial fellows. There are too many to list, but you get the idea! :happy:

• 4 weeks later...

you know what also bugged me about that lil marketing seg...the fact that they called fish keeping "the idiot-proof hobby". the idiot proof mothafunkin hobby!! :angry: but who am I to judge, after all im only an idiot... :huh:

See the problem is that you people who are sticking up for tetra and the others are giving the average consumer WAYYYYYY too much credit. I agree that it is the duty of the consumer to research first, but a majority won't do it! I worked at petco when finding nemo came out, and I had on average 10 people a day coming up to me and asking if they could get a nemo fish. I'd say that five of those ten were holding one of our "Betta bowls" at the time they asked the question. At least two of them said they had an aquarium at home already, but upon questioning I found out that the other fish in the tank were cichlids and loaches and a goldfish. FREAKING FRESHWATER TANKS!!! The other three had never kept fish before and wanted me to tell them what they needed. Depending on my mood, I would either explain it to them nicely, just tell them "NO" flat out, or scare them away from saltwater by telling them that they would need at least a 210 gallon tank. The one thing I would never do to these people is lie. All the info I gave them was 100 percent accurate to my knowledge. I know that you don't have to have 210 gallons for salt, I myself had a 5gal reef at the time. What I do know is that for this particular customer not to kill the fish within about 4 hours, they would need the volume of the 210. It's not that I don't know what I'm talking about, it's just that some people don't deserve to own anything living. No cats, dogs, fish, rodents, bacterial cultures, NOTHING!

If the person was serious about wanting to get into the hobby, I would point them to books and to this site, and tell them that it is possible to have nemo in a 5 gal, but it takes a lot of work and dedication to the hobby. A few actually came back to me with questions worth answering, but for the most part I never saw these mothers with 5 year olds in tow ever again. I don't care that I lost a sale because of it. I would rather have educated people leave my store with no product in hand than have the customer never come back to fish at all because they were sold a saltwater fish, a hydrometer, salt, and a goldfish bowl and everything died. Many people aren't like us reefers. They won't look at the situation and say to themselves, "What can I learn from this and how do I do it better next time?" They just assume that they suck at keeping fish and sell the whole bit at a garage sale for $10.

That is why I am so upset with CBS and tetra right now! "idiotproof hobby" my arse! People will see that segment, go to petco, get some poor teenager to scoop them up a few "dorrys", and walk out the door thinking about how excited little bobby and jane will be when they get home. I guarantee you that when most people think about pets or fish, they think petco and petsmart. It is not very likely that a person looking to buy a hamster will just stumble across a hamster breeder who will learn them all the info they need about hamsters. They are going to go to petco, get a hamster, let their kid handle it right out of the box, it is going to bite them and then die of wetail or pneumonia. Same goes for the fish. People are not going to just trip into a knowledgeable LFS. I think we all know that. I have to go 15 miles to get to my store, and I pass a petco, a petsmart, and a fish store that will sell you anything just to get your dollar. People will stop at those places long before they ever reach my store.

The other thing I have a problem with is the editing of the segment. Did you notice that the b-roll footage that was cut in over the two ladies talking was of 15 clowns in some HUGE tank somewhere. People won't make the distinction between the huge tank and their $50 minibow kit. They will assume that it's just fine to put in 15 clowns. Not to mention 2 tangs, a full sized serpent star, a few seahorses and the statue of liberty just for kicks. I bet pennies for substrate would make their tank even more patriotic. Do you know when this was aired? I want to know when to expect the wave of idiots to magically find their way into my store so I can control at least a little bit of the damage that tetra has caused.

Sorry bout the long post, but I REALLY have a problem with this king of false advertising. I was yelling at the screen the entire time the vid was playing, because the only thing she said that I agreed with was that people overstock and overfeed. Other than that, I disagree with everything she said as well as the visuals that the editors cut in.

*end rant*

), ---.(_(__) /

// (..) ), ----"

//___//

// //

NR must be the absolute KING of thread hijacking...

Archived