Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What Lights Over a 29g ?

magohn

Hello All

First time poster. I am 'downgrading' from a 55g reef to a 29g. I previously lit the 55g tank via twin MH 175w. I have a substantial growth of Xenia, Mushooms and a healthy crop of Acropora. I have everything setup for the move except the lighting for the 29g. I do enjoy the shimmer of the MH but twin 175w seems a lot to me over a 29g. What lighting is suitable for a 29g coral tank? Any ready-made solutions? TIA

The trouble is the twin 175w are mounted in a Hamilton Hood. I hesitate to break the hood up as it cost $500+ and I may ebay it to pay for my downgrade...

About the lights/........

ther is a HUGE aray of what to use.... it all depends on what you intend to keep as your final goal.

40 L 330 W VHO. VERY BRIGHT. you could do that easily with 30 inch bulbs.

Look around on the site and hit the search button a few times and look in Members tank pictures, 29 gal is the upper limits of what is considered "NANO".....

40long.jpg

In other words.....

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH H!H!!! H!!!!!!!ARGH !

stabbunny.gif

May a merciful Gawd make this topic........

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE !

I have a 29 gal and I bought a JBJ PC 130W off of ebay, brand new for $159.

I'm very happy with it and I just checked on ebay and there is more. The seller (Reefking) I believe, has a contract with JBJ. My LFS sells the same light for $250.

I could'nt really say about the 175s because I've never used them.

But I do know that everything in my tank is growing and doing great with the 130W pc.

This first pic is'nt very good so I'm adding 2 more:)

Thanks for the great pics!!! My concern is that 130/29 = Approx 4.5 watts per gallon. I have a number of hard/soft corals and wonder if this is enough light. Also you tank specs state "260w" of light. Any further input much appreciated.

P.S. I found the lights onebay. Very tempting, especially the hinged model.

Oops! I'm glad you noticed that (Don't know what I was thinking)

Well to be honest, I'm pretty new at this and as you can see by the pics I have no SPS, so I'm not sure if it is enough or not. I do like that new "hinged" model.

Sorry I could'nt be more help.

Donk, great tank.

I have to let you know that you should get that sinularia out of the sandbed. I "planted" mine like that too (to get bubble algae on it's rock to die) and the areas of the coral with no light turned black and it started to spread a little. The coral lived, but I wouldn't leave it in the sand like that.

I'm not sure how much difference there is in the two, but that is a nephthea. I tried to put it in the rock but, for some reason it would'nt open up. As soon as I put it in the sand it was fine.

I tried this several times, same result.

Thanks though, Ill keep a close eye on it.

29g bow front ah? same as me I've got two 55 PC's, one 15 PC, 20 and a 15...etc... Think i read you wanted to keep coral... I'm not so sure i like my PC for coral, they don't seem to do as well under them as my previous setup (that was a year ago). anyway two 55 wat PC is easiest, but i dont think its the best way to go for coral. I'd opt for a 150 watt aqualine HQI lamp in a good quality reflector ie/ PFO reflectore. (don't skimp on the reflector!! can make all the difference) Possible consider a red sea 10,000K 175 watt. (ALS and blueline also make good 175 watt..) Don't have to go over 175 watt if you have a good reflector.

heck sell off the dual 175's and put a 400w on there :D or just throw the 175's on there.

heck i run a 20H w/ a single 400w on it. hell i would do a 10gal w/ a 400w :D

Lunchbucket

Still think a 175 would do it - 400's are hard on the hydro, and i've read stuff that suggests that a 175 or even a 150 with a really good quality reflector will give you the same or more light then a 400 with a basic reflector - Marine Fish USA and Reef 2002, p.56, Spectral Analysis of Recent Metal Halide Lamps - nice article...... put if you got parents footing the bill then who cares :happy:

Archived