Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY metal Halide . Any comments

Vish

That page has been passed around quite a bit in the last couple of years... and though I have not built the setup myself I do know a couple of people that have. Well used the ballast mentioned. Their choices of housings are different. One used an old army surplus ammo containor and mounted a fan in it. So yes it is workable/doable and relatively cheap.

You should note though that the ballasts mentioned on that page are Mercury Vapor ballasts... you need to use a bulb such as the Iwasaki's that can fire on that type of ballast... the majority of bulbs used in reefkeeping do not or will not funtion properly on them.

So you if love the 'saki's then it's a pretty cheap way to light things up!

I agree with dattack. Local electric store wants $40 for a 250w ballast and $10 bucks for a socket, by the time I was done diy it would cost more than hellolights. and I couldn't make a nice reflector.

later

| ReEFnEwB1E |

Good post. Sure help me out finally. Jesus, you guys don't know how long I have been searching and searching classifieds for cheap MH setup. FINALLY! Now all I have to do is find a cheap MH bulb on EBAY! LOL

Archived