Coral Vue Hydros

FW dip leathal?

nd12nc

Ok so here's the scoop, about two days ago i did a FW dip on some zoos that were lookin pretty bad (researched and didn't see any negative remarks about doing this, saw lots of positive things however). I put the zoos back in the tank and immediatly things (specifically corals) start to look bad. I figure i'll wait it out because corals can be kinda cranky sometimes. So, i look at my tank the next morning ALL MY LPS CORALS ARE GONE! Melted, gone. Also my flame scallop bit the dust. I am completely clueless as to what might have caused this. My fish on the otherhand are healthy and acting completely normal. Also, my gsp and leather are fine. Mushrooms on the otherhand are not lookin to hot, I think they'll pull through however. Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Wow I was about to do that to my zoos because i saw a wierd lookin brown nudibranch in my nano the otherday and noow my zoos look wierd... I guess i'm going to have to re think this whole thing now.

I figured it had to be something to that effect. But why wouldn't the fish be stressed or the gsp or leathers be dying?

fw dip has nothgin to do withit, you probably had things stinging eachother. i used to fw dip my zoos everyime i bought some.

jose you better get on treating your problem, you probably have zoo eating nudis, if you dont get on it quick say goodbye to your zoo friends

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

First off: Been testing? What are you params like?

How long has your tank been up? Got some specs on your system?

What LPS corals are we talking about? How long have you had them?

What were and when did your newest addtions go it?

Was your dip just FW? or had you added anything else to it?

The flame scallop... how long have you had that guy? Are you sure that it was fine before your other corals crashed?

If I were you I would have already have done or would get to asap: A water change, big one, if you did one a day or two ago I would do another one. ...and run some carbon as already mentioned.

SLO, it didn't have anything to do with two corals touching. The corals affected were no where near eachother, and had been this way for a couple of months with no ill effects.

Icenine, my tank specs are: 10g AGA with 96w compacts.

I did some testing and water was good. I've done two water changes since the corals died and am now running some carbon in my filter.

The LPS I had in the tank were: hammer coral, frogspawn, and a blasto. The frogspawn might still be alive, only time will tell, same goes for the blasto.

Other corals include green stripe mushrooms, some type of brown frilly mushroom, and another large purple/green frilly mushroom. Everything seems to be doing better now, except for the hammer and scallop that died as I mentioned before.

As to your question about how the flame scallop, it was doing great. It had been in the tank for about 4 months.

I haven't had any new additions for a few months.

The FW dip was 3 gal freshwater and 1 drop iodine. I found this "recipie" on reef central. Read a giant thread about it and everyone that had tried it had great success.

I'm assuming that it had to have been the FW dip with the iodine, but i don't know why.

Ok, I'm no expert, so someone who knows zoanthids real well should chime in, but you said you decided to dip them after noticing that they looked real bad. Maybe they went south and nuked your tank with toxins, and it didn't really have anything to do with th FW dip?

Does that happen with zoas?

podboy, thanks for your thoughts. I'm not an expert on zoos so i can't say for sure if you're right or wrong. However, the zoos had been lookin bad for a few weeks so i don't think all of a sudden they just went nuts. Also, they're still alive, though they're still all closed up just like before.

im no expert...but maybe since your corals werent doing so well, then you FW dipped them..and that possibally finished em off(due to previous stress)!

Maybe the scallop just happened to die anyway, and that fouled the tank? Those scallops have a predilection for doing just that. OR perhaps the toxins from the zoas hurt your other corals. Skimmer? I skimmed the thread.

Regal Tang: the zoos are still alive kinda. they just don't look too good.

c'est ma: I used distilled water for the FW dip.

Caesar: the scallop may have died, but i noticed a sharp decline in its health after I did the FW dip. So i don't think that it was the scallop that fouled the tank, but i just don't know. And if your asking if i use a skimmer, no i don't. I've been looking into getting one for a while, but im waiting for the nano remora to come out.

Archived