Coral Vue Hydros

2.5 Work Pico

Joseph14

Hey Guys I got to thinking and I want to set up my 2.5 again.Im going to set it up at work in a couple weeks but im going to get it started at home,and i wanted to ask a few questions...

1)would an AC20 be enough flow? I have one on my 5.5 and I wanted to upgrade to a AC50 or a AC 110 and then I,d move the AC20 to my 2.5

2)would 18Watts PC be enough to keep a few SPS Corals?

and

3)Could I keep like 2-3 Yellow Clown Gobies?

I an hoping to find a Nice peice of Marshals Island LR in the middle w/ Rubble around.

and a 2 inch SB.

comments and Suggestions Welcom...

Hey Guys I got to thinking and I want to set up my 2.5 again.Im going to set it up at work in a couple weeks but im going to get it started at home,and i wanted to ask a few questions...

1)would an AC20 be enough flow? I have one on my 5.5 and I wanted to upgrade to a AC50 or a AC 110 and then I,d move the AC20 to my 2.5

2)would 18Watts PC be enough to keep a few SPS Corals?

and

3)Could I keep like 2-3 Yellow Clown Gobies?

I an hoping to find a Nice peice of Marshals Island LR in the middle w/ Rubble around.

and a 2 inch SB.

comments and Suggestions Welcom...

1) yes

2) im not sure, never kept SPS

3) you cna hardly keep 1 fish, let alone 2-3, MAYBE a goby like a neon, or a hi fin, not a clown, too big

I have 62w of PC light and flow from a maxijet 400 and a rio 50, and I have 1 M. digitata, a green slimer and a Acro. sp. in my 2.5g pico, they are doing good. The plate monti. isnt doing as good as the rest. 18w is probably less although I dont speak from experience. 2-3 clown gobies isnt a good idea, I would keep 1 if not none. Also I would add a powerhead in addition to the AC for extra flow. If you think of the ocean, corals have probably adapted to changes in light, but not too much to changes in flow which is probably less erratic than lighting conditions in the reef, so they probably do well in a wider light range, but the flow range (ie water turnover or water moved over the coral) is probably more narrow, just my opinion.

I was thinking of buying a custom hood from somebody here and moddifying it to house 3 20 watt 50/50 corralife bulbs or just buy a sattelite light.

i'm doing the same thing- i'm building a custom hood and putting 2x20watt coralife bulbs, but i was thinking it might expand your capabilities if you add another...for 60 watts total...but then you gotta install a fan, so that another $25.

I would definately advise against the clown goby in a 2.5. i starved one to death in mine and i was bummed. Can be really easy to do.

aqua_aaron-Yeah I thought about that and I saw a thread here where this guy says you can buy them for like 2-5 $ for 1.

What I was planing on doing was buying a custom hood from someone here and then puting it over the tank,and cuting a peice of wood to completely cover the top ,then fit the AC 70 on the back ,and cut the back panel of wood to fit ,then add two fans.

i think i found a good bulb i'm going to add to those coralifes: i was just at home depot and picked up a 100 watt screw-in pc for $6. it was called a "natural daylight" bulb. i'm guessing its somewhere in between 6500K and 10000K, but its a nice white light. that + two coralife 20 watters should be quite the lighting setup!

I would definately advise against the clown goby in a 2.5. i starved one to death in mine and i was bummed. Can be really easy to do.

how did you starve a clown goby? just feed them every day. mine loves flake, brine, and even eats the zooplex i add for my corals. clown gobies are fine for a 2.5, but only 1. i have one in a 1.6 gallon hex and nitrates stay around 10 ppm even with weekly 30% water changes with nutriseawater (similar to catalina water).

Archived