Innovative Marine Aquariums

Surface skimmer suggestion

schaadrak

I see a lot of pico reef owners who make the surface skimmer mod to their HOB intakes by adding a huge U-shaped pipe to the end of it. Why not instead fasten a lager diameter tube to the intake tube and cap off the bottom?

Like this:

jl5bbs.jpg

Seems like it would save space and maybe even look a little neater.

JM2¢

interesting... have u tried it out yet? maybe ill give it a shot this weekend since i have an extra HOB filter lying around...

I have seen this done long ago using 3/4 in.. PVC but forget how it was attached , just curious on how you would go about attaching the larger intake to the existing tube on the HOB as this seems to be a quirk in the design. I have thought about using the suction cup setup from one of my heaters to hold the PVC against the tank wall but it would have to be the correct distance from the wall to line up with the intake from the HOB in order to work....

Sorry I can't see your image for some reason???

Upload the image into NR:

HOBmod.JPG

The smaller tube would just be glued to the inside of larger tube and the bottom of the larger tube would be capped off. As long as the opening of the outside tube has as least twice the area of the inside tube, flow shouldn't be a problem. Maybe drilling a tiny hole or two in the cap on the bottom would help, too.

well i found some old UGF tubing and used it to create a cool looking surface skimmer tube, unfortunately my HOB has a fatal flaw. im using a whisper10 and it has this plastic guard where it hold the intake tube. so in order to work the water level would have to be lowered dramatically. i dont wana lower the water level or mess with the filter. maybe ill try getting an AC20 again.

Archived