Top Shelf Aquatics

anyone using ozone?

jackson vile

Very dangerous in small systems. Even the smallest ozonizers available (25mg/hr) on the lowest setting can inject a significant amount of ozone relative to tank volume. I used 25mg/hr on a 200g+ sps system and it was able to quickly push the ORP past 450mv, I can't imagine how quickly it would raise ORP on a 10g system. Likely well above 500mv in a matter of minutes.

If I was even going to attempt something like this I'd run through an ozone reactor (not a skimmer) and then run that effluent through a large canister filled with activated carbon. Something like a merlin fluidized filter or similar. I'd then use a controller to monitor the ORP of the effluent output (not the tank) in order to ensure the effluent never went over safe limits.

Ozone is a great tool on large systems but questionable on smaller ones. I'm a long time pro-ozone advocate, but can't put my stamp of approval on using it in a small system. The risks far outweigh any benefits here..

Jim

Like Jim said, you're better off looking into a small UV unit if you want additional equipment to fight DOCs, algae, and parasites.

firefishbrain

even in larger systems, you should leave it one long anyways, at a soon-to-close coffee shop that had a 450g FO, had it on all the time, 24/7 until the LFS that I work for told them not to use it , now it just gathers dust, the tank wouldn's cycle properly and the fish would keep dying.

I have used Ozone for over twenty years in a variety of skimmers and tanks, although I have to admit that it is not running at the moment and my tank is suffering for it.

They help skimming and enable you to keep to O2 saturation high as it is in a reef.

Ozone must be filtered with carbon after the skimmer before the water enters the tank to remove the carbon.

If you do this here is some advice from someone who has experiance with it.

Only get a unit with a controller or control it with something Like an AquaController 2 as I do without one it is like having a hammer without a handle which is useless.

Don't waste your money on a toy, get one that has a Ozone level control

It is possible to run Ozone on small tanks but you need to run it through a large tee so you draw air and Ozone at the same time.

It is a common practice to filter the air from the top of the tee and the skimmer cup through dry carbon. This can be dangerous and can start a fire from the heat generated as the Ozone reacts with the dry carbon.

I vent mine outside without carbon.

We can smell 1-4 parts per million of Ozone to air so if you can smell it by lifting the lid off your tank you have a problem.

Long term exsposure to Ozone can cause headaches and eye problems so treat it with respect

If I was even going to attempt something like this I'd run through an ozone reactor (not a skimmer)

Ozone is most benificial in a skimmer so why waste it and spend money on it if your not going to use it properly, this is the very reason why it is better than UV.

Alot of people are not aware of this.

If you decide to use UV instead be aware of the fact that UV also creates Ozone and tanks need to have the O3 level checked even if filtered after the UV with carbon as do tanks running Ozoneand also must be controlled with an ORP controller as well as they will alter the ORP in the same way.

• 1 month later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I have a 72 gallon reef and can and will endorse Ozone for better water quality in a highly stocked reef tank like mine.

I'm only on my first days using Ozone and I love it, my tank is really becoming very clear and my corals are I kid you not, extending there polyps even more.

If you want I'll link you my thread which has detailed pictures of my setup and my tank.

There are a lot of members on this board that doubt my SPS will thrive with my amount of biolaod, I have 20 fish in my tank.

Well, ozone is really helping me insure my succes. I'm a believer in experience and that's why I recommend and endorse Ozone in reef tanks.

Mike G

• 1 year later...

Archived