ReefCleaners.org

coral suggestions for my 10 gallon

topfish

Hello, I have a 10 gallon tank its been up for 5 mos. but its now going to be a nano. I have a 3 in. sand bed, right now I have about 12 lbs. of rock but will end with about 20 lbs. of lr. I have a reef like 15 watt light and a coral life 15 watt life from zoomed so a total fo 30 watts. The calcium is around 425, alkalinity-10DKH, nitrite, trate, amonia-0. I would like to get corals that are not aggressive and dont have sweeper tentacles. I am interested in these corals, would they be good for my tank? Fox, hammer, bubble, blue mushrooms, finger, xenia, green metallic polyps(i believe there called that). Thanks, if these aren't good can you suggest some corals for me? Thanks!

Most of those sound good. Hammers and Bubbles do have sweeper tentacles, although, in my experience they're not very long. Mushrooms are always a good starter. Sometimes you can pick up a loose mushroom or two for around $5. It's cool if you're not sure of your tank conditions and you don't want to dump a lot of $ into coral yet. That's how I started.

You might wait a while before you get xenia. Mine grows like crazy, but I hear people all the time compaining about trying to keep these alive and well.

Polyps and zooanthids are also a good starter, as they grow quickly and seem to do well with a lot of abuse. They look cool, too, when you've got a lot of them.

I really don't know much about fox or finger, but I'd start with zoanthinds or mushrooms, anyway.

Zoathid poylps are a good starting point as well as mushrooms. Hammers and Bubbles do have sweeper tentacles, although they arn't all that long.

Hammers and bubble are pretty aggressive and their sweeper length can be irrelevant because they often detach meaning they will float around your tank until they find something to sting.

However, it does seem pretty rare that any of the Euphyllids bother producing them in captivity.

You are probably living on the edge as far as light intensity goes for any of the stoney corals, they may not die, but they probably won't show much growth (which could be considered desirable in a nano anyway).

lighting problem is just about solved I decided to get a 55 watt flourescent light. So now I gues I could get some ofo the corals that need stronger light. I'll get back to you with another list of corals I think would be good in my tank, and let the pros look over it make sure it'll be good.

Archived