inTank Media Baskets

Please give advice about red hairy algae

Fabian Salcedo

Fabian Salcedo

Hi!

Just wanted to say you are all in my opinion the experts of all experts. It is difficult to have all levels on a big aquarium at the correct settings but way more difficult in an aquarium that is less than 20 gallon. The reason for this post is that my aquariums 100 and my 10-gallon Eclipse are being bombarded with a red hairy alga that is starting to create bubbles in it. I don't have any cleaning crews and would like some advice on this and were to purchase them. Not only do I have this algae but also some brown algae on my glass. I would like to thank all who read this post and will like to wish you all an excellent day.

Sincerely,

Fabian

I need to get to sleep and am not going to type out what I have typed out like 5 times the past couple weeks about cyano. I know you are new, so I will give you the best help of the night, hit the little blue search button at the upper right, type in "chemi-clean" which should take you to a few recent posts made about this product which I recomend. Also, search for "cyano" or try "Red Slime" etc. You will be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

actually what exactly does your hairy alge look like? there are a couple types of red alges. on this link check out the bushy corraline, red macroalge, red turf alge.

alge page

cyano or slime alge

cyano

u said it was hairy alge just wondered what type i have had 3 out of the 4 listed

Fabian Salcedo

My algae is cyano and I have reduced the amount of light on my aquarium to only a few hours a day. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Fabian S.

actually reducing light doesnt really help it seems like it dissapears at night reappears in an hour or 2 when the light comes on. i battled mine for a few months i did not want to add chemicals to the system personally so i kept at it until it was gone.

you can use a turkey baster to suck it off the substrate or rock it will help you keep up on it. how old are your tanks? with brown alge i figure its probably fairly new some things that will affect and bring on cyano

old lighting- as the lights age the spectrum changes and can

feed alge

high nitrates- over feeding or over stocking

high phosphates- did you ever test your water your using or the

tank water

water flow- places of low water flow can accumulate detruis also

feeding cyano, readjust pwr heads or add another

sump or refugium IF you have one adding macros would help good alges will compete bad alges for the stuff they feed off of

nothing eats it but sand stirrers can help eliminate it off the sand, increased smaller water changes, and skimming can help

Archived