Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting for a 20L tank

khemicals

Greetings,

I am going to be making my first tank, a nano, relatively soon. I am trying to decide on what type of lights I should put in the tank to maximize the type of life that can be in the tank while minimizing cost.

With the discussions in here about the Bayco 13W PC (the worklight available just about everywhere), how many would it take to get a reasonable amount of light? Would that be enough (with a few bulbs being changed out to actinic's, etc.)?

Is a MH really the best light for the job (the tank is only 12" deep after all). Should I go for a 100W 5500K MH and mix it with the PC's or something else? Or is the 175W normal aquarium type really the end-all for this tank.

Note that I am only trying to set up lighting specific to this tank. I don't see any point in trying to move it over to another tank in the future, but I don't want to have to upgrade the lighting later, but if I can't put something in the tank because of it's size I don't want to pay for lighting for it either, as it will never go into the tank.

At any rate, might also be a good thread to discuss your setups for me to ponder as I think about possible setups for my nano.

Thanks in advance,

David

I have a light box for a 20L (actually a 29 was the origional idea). I still havent used it yet, but I packed 2 65/55 watt Power compact bulbs in it with room for one more if I need to. I think they are the way to go on a 20 gallon. I have heard some alternatives...

> I saw a web page a while ago where a guy used a 400W metal halide for his 20H...his stony corals and clams loved it. He had it mounted over a foot above the tank to prevent overheating and only ran it 6 hours a day. That's 20 watts per gallon baby...(I mention this although I am against the use of watts per gallon as a means of measuring how much light a tank needs)

>Normal Output Flo is on it's way out for aquariums. The only tank you can really use these on is a 10 gallon (I use 5 on the one I just set up...75 watts) Although I suppose your tank isnt any taller, and has more depth, so I would be tempting to make a DIY canopy after a run to the local " orange box ". I would use 6x 20 watt NO bulbs. (120 watts)...but the bulbs will cost so much more than just doing Power Compact in the beginning.

>you would need a bunch of 13 watt bulbs to run a 20L, maybe more than you could fit in the hood. They may be PC bulbs, but the intensity just isnt there. I have noticed how the larger bulbs (that also have good ballasts) run higher intensities and are more efficient. The 55 watrt power compacts are the way to go. just visit www.ahsupply.com to get the DIY parts cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

DIY a 2 x 55w PC system. Call a lighting supplier in your phonebook and ask about ballasts, they will be very cheap. Get proper spectrum bulbs from your LFS or hellolights.com

Easy peezy lemon squeezy

I am getting ready to replace my 55 watters. I am getting a 10,000 daylight.. but am not sure the best actinic. Does anyone have a preference on the type of actinic. Actinic Blue, Actinic 3.

Thanks

Archived