Innovative Marine Aquariums

featherduster movie/question >>

jawarden

Hi all,

I was told at the lfs that this is a feather duster: true? I did a search here but didn't come up with pictures so I want to doublecheck. I have four of them as hitchhikers on a piece of LR that I bought a few weeks back. Yesterday he put out something that definitely was not the normal featherduster feathers (if that's what they are). Instead it was a dead looking clingy cloud kind of thing, and I thought he was dead. Today he's back, and looking bigger/healthier than before, and the dead looking stuff is still there too, now forming a kind of collar around the opening of the tube. You can clearly see it in my Hollywood presentation of Duster and Death by clicking on this link :P

So, anyone see this before? Is this what was being described in the featherless feather duster post?

Jeff

Thanks LiQuiD,

After a little more research elsewhere I did find a picture/description of what I have, and it looks like a Serpulid polycheates, which is apparently similar to a featherduster, at least if I can believe the page I found

Thanks.

That is a very good research page for begginers. That page would save on a ton of "can someone ID this for me" threads. I do however think that you have Sabellid polychaete though. These have your plain basic white "feathers", the Serpilid family, even when very small, have some sort of flourecent color around the base of the feather crown and very colorfull as they get larger. Anyone else with questions on "what's this on my rock?" should check out the article from page 1 http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_page...s/faq_rock1.htm

Archived