Cultivated Reef

How do I rid of Dark Red Slime algae?

cirionrc

Ever since I moved I been having a big problem with dark red slime algae. I clean the tank out and it just grows back in 2 days. I never had this problem before. Anyone know how to rid of this stuff.

Boyd's Chemi-Clean works great for me. It will all be gone by tomorrow. Or you can do it the natural way (more water flow, less light, poly filter, etc. and so on) until you drive yourself nuts with it. If you have alot, just remember to siphon out as much as possible before you dose then a water change after 48 hours. Some chemicals are bad and dangerous but I would swear by this stuff it knocks it out in no time.

Yes.. get as much of it out as you can.. take it from me, personal experience..

After my experiences with it, I did some more research on cyanobacteria and found that they actually store nitrates within them.. when they decay, this nitrate is released back into the tank.. chemi-clean kills the cyano, therefore, could cause a Nitrate spike if you're not well prepared. If you have a consumer of it, the nitrate is trapped within the fecal pellets of the shrimp/crab/snail... so obviouisly the natural method is prefered..

My cyano has started to return unfortunately, but I recently added a peppermint shrimp and six trochus snails (most of which are on the glass)... yet as of this even this night I've seen a HUGE decline in all of the cyano break outs.. so I have a feeling the shrimp might just be munching on it (anyone else had this experience)? The spots were in several areas of the tank no where near some of the new snails..

espi posted somewhere on the threads about a chemical product called No-Cya-No. I bought a bottle and it worked. SinceI had the baby I haven't been using it and the cyano is back, but only in one spot on the back glass and it doesn't bother me too much. Will just have to start dosing the chems again.

Originally posted by Crakeur

espi posted somewhere on the threads about a chemical product called No-Cya-No.  I bought a bottle and it worked.  SinceI had the baby I haven't been using it and the cyano is back, but only in one spot on the back glass and it doesn't bother me too much.  Will just have to start dosing the chems again.

Yep Its made by Fish Vet. It can take a few applications, and a skimmer will help also Seachem Phosguard and the AlGone

Anti Algae packets. It is an overall water quality issue. Try RODI and a better salt.

Yeah, this stuff is driving me crazy. I siphoned the gravel, cleaned all the pumps and tank walls, used a baster and blasted the live rock and decor, and went to the lfs for a poly filter, and did a 20% water change. The tank looked nice again, until tonight, it has been 1.5 days and it is back. I guess if it does not clear in the next couple of days I will try the lfs and see if they have chemi clean or that no-cya-no. Also, there is a lot of bubbles that sit at the top and even build up in the corners. It used to be always clear, and the protein skimmer collection cup is full every day now. It used to last a week or more. Well thanks for the help. Thanks

Archived