ReefCleaners.org

Too many fish???????

braindawkins20

braindawkins20

hi im a begginer and i am starting a 12 gal. nano. I was wondering if these fish would ne ok in this size tank and also if they're compatible:

2percula clowns 1.5"

1flame angel 2.5"

1blue damsel 1"

1 coral banded shrimp 2" icluding antenie

will all these fish fit? If you don't think so then please give me a few other suggestions... By the way my lfs says that 1" per gal. will be fine...

Thanks sooo much

sure they'll all fit...but there won't be any room for water! 1" of fish per gallon is NOT ok! that's an old a** poorly designed rule that shouldn't even be applied to freshwater aquaria anymore. and no you can't have a flame angel until #1 you prove that you can keep a damsel/clown alive and #2 you get a bigger tank-angels and tangs (before you ask your next question) do not make suitable nano inhabitants. what i would suggest is read the articles chris put together. check out the member's tanks and compare fish loads to your situation. then start out slow...like 1 damsel or clown for awhile. i'd say a pair of smaller percs and maybe a small goby might be okay eventually.

BTW-there are a number of good books out there that'll help a ton...do some searches. Damsels are aggresive bastards and will make life in your nano chaos. alone they're ok but in a cramped community ime they don't behave. as you read you'll also notice that angelfish (all species) are a risk in any sized reef because they've been known to nip at corals.

WOW thats a lot of stuff in that there nano!

In a 12g I would go with the 2 percs and one shrimp! No mass!

You would be really surprised at how big a healthy flame angel can get, Ive seen two that were almost the size of my hand!

Who ever told you that rule is full of Pooh! In a freshwater maybe but definitely not a SW. Plus you have to remember this is a NANO were talking about =)

Everyone needs to calm down. Read what you are replying, your ripping on him. His first sentence is "Im a begginer"' obviously he is a BEGINNER, and very young because he cannot spell beginner. I have the same problem trying to get some information on this site chat and forums. No one needs to show off on a nano-reef site because were all nerds here.

Todd

i see no ripping. on my side of the wire, all i read is good information and suggestions from twinsguy and deskjockey. perhaps a little sarcasm, but i still agree with what they have to say, nor do they seem to be attacking briandawkins20, but instead, the 1 inch per gallon rule.

as for the original question:

keep in mind that those fish are gonna grow. good luck with the tank buddy.:happy:

I dont' see any ripping either. You are doing the right thing by asking first.

Just do a lot of reading and visiting of fish stores so that you get an idea of 1) which fish appeal to you, 2) of those fish, which you may put in a 12G, and 3) of the remaining fish which will get along.

I do not recommend damsels (except for clown fish), personally I see few redeeming qualities in them (aside from being cheap) and most people I know that have them regret it later. Remember if you put a fish in a reef tank, the only way it is coming out is probably in a body bag, so be sure it is what you want.

I would probably stick to 2 fish in all (3 if you do something small like a citron goby or neon goby).

There ARE a number of Centropyge angels that do just fine in a 12G, look into C. argi, C. resplendens, C. acanthops, and C. flavicauda. It would be best to get a small individual, but that aside they grow slowly, are attractive, active, and despite their reputation of bothering corals seem in reality to rarely do so.

Archived