SaltCritters.com

Black Algea!

dizasstur

It started out about three days ago and is spreading rapidly on the rocks.

What is this?

Can anything be done?

Black algae is a sign of water quality problems. It is a kind of cyano. Same causes & solutions. Do a water change using RO/DI or Distilled water for mixing. I'd be tempted to put in some carbon and a phosphate remover.

• 2 weeks later...

deffinately employ the use of a phosphate remover, seachem's phosgaurd is my choice. also physicaly removing the cyanobacteria by siphoning it of w/ thin tubing to contain it to one area is a good way to go. this will be an ongoing battle, and you will just have to be one step ahead of the game

deffinately employ the use of a phosphate remover, seachem's phosgaurd is my choice. also physicaly removing the cyanobacteria by siphoning it of w/ thin tubing to contain it to one area is a good way to go. this will be an ongoing battle, and you will just have to be one step ahead of the game

oops replied twice......i feel dumb

I would also make sure to gravel vac your sand and take notice of how clean or dirty it is. Much of the waste fueling the black algae growth typically comes from the sand bed. Also spray the rocks with a turkey baser or power head for a similar test.

Other than that I would make sure you have vigorous water flow. Lastly, maintaining a high alkalinity helps with many types of algae.

I hope that this helps,

Barry Katz

customerservice@kahunacorals.com

The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance and extended lighting hours can lead to your algae problem. Check your phosphates, nitrates and dissolved organic compounds. These nutrient food sources is your problem.

Cut back feeding, clean up old detritus, and so on. Siphon out the algae with tubing. There's no way to get around these, no chemical or animal you can add to do it for you.

Archived