Innovative Marine Aquariums

what changes

Crimper

Get a 20-gallon plastic bucket/trashcan (or smaller depending on the size of your tank. Throw in RO/DI water, salt, mix with salt. Be sure to measure salinity after finished & make adjustments.

Put in a 50w heater & a cheap powerhead. Let let the heater/powerhead run for 24 hours. Here's the tub I use:

not to be cutting corners or anything but........... is there an easier way to do this? I just don't have the room to leave a bucket out over night once a week. Since my tank is small (12 gallon), maybe the pet store will sell me some water heck i'll only do 1 or 2 gallons changes weekly, right?

You can buy saltwater from a LFS. Make sure you test the water also. You might want to add the newly mixed water in your tank slowly do to possible temp, salinty, etc. differences.

Originally posted by twflys

not to be cutting corners or anything but........... is there an easier way to do this?  I just don't have the room to leave a bucket out over night once a week.  Since my tank is small (12 gallon), maybe the pet store will sell me some water heck i'll only do 1 or 2 gallons changes weekly, right?

Since you have a 12, you don't really need something so big. You can get a 5-6 qt pail at walmart of a homecenter for like $1 and just sit it on your kitchen counter. I use an old 1-1/2 gal acrylic tank to do my water mixing for my 20. Or buy your water at your LFS like what was already said. Just make sure you test their water now and then and check that the salinity matches your system.

Archived