Cultivated Reef

redsea aquavase

jfish

i was thinking of setting up my redsea aquavase tank for some shrooms/zoos but i gess the clip on light that comes with it is not good enufe so i was wondering if i have to replace the light or if i can just get a difrent bulb?(and if so witch would be the best)would the HOB filter be enufe flow? and how would i heat somthing this small one of those hydro 7.5wat mini heaters?

thanks again

i was thinking of setting up my redsea aquavase tank for some shrooms/zoos but i gess the clip on light that comes with it is not good enufe so i was wondering if i have to replace the light or if i can just get a difrent bulb?(and if so witch would be the best)would the HOB filter be enufe flow? and how would i heat somthing this small one of those hydro 7.5wat mini heaters?

thanks again

If your talking about the acrylic cube that holds about 1 gal with the colored base and comes with the NANO sized HOB filter and a 7 watt Dragon Fly PC light, yes it will support shrooms and zoos just fine and a lot more as well. YOu can also use a 9 watt PC bulb in those 7 watt lights as the ballast is designed for 7 or 9 watts. YOu can get all daylight, all actinic or 50/50 bulbs for them...

You can get a tube type 7.5w heater in wally world for under $5 or use the hydor brand of mat heaters which is also 7.5 watts which around here sell for about $15.00 and do not work any better than the $5 walmart heaters...but the Hydor has a thinner cord and is much more easily hidden. The wally world heaters have a cord approx 3/8" in diameter while the hydors have a cord like the typical lamp cord or zip cord......much easier and less stiff. They work fine, but you have to be carefull not to overheat the tank as they are designed to heat the tank up a few degrees higher than room temp, and have no built in control.....If used in conjunction with a light which will add heat you have to be very carefull. I played with these 7.5 watt heaters a bit. I had two 1.5 gal tanks. One with 13 watts of PC light the other with 0 lights. Both were setting on my counter in the spare bathroom we use for keeping fish supplies etc in....... Water temp on both tabnks was 76 deg. Turning on the 13 watt light made the temp rise 3 degrees.....and it stabilized at 79 deg.....Room temp was right close to thr 76 deg mark as well, as both tanks were basically at room temp. I pluged in the two heaters one in each tank...The unlite tank went up to 80 deg and the tank with the light went up to 85 degrees. I thought perhaps one heater was off more than the other, so I swapped them around and had the same results. Typically the longer a light is on the ore heat is applied to the water in that tank, and the tank with the light continually went higher all day long....turn off the light and temps came back to what the other tank was but with light alone tank never got anywhere near as the tank did when heater was used in conjunctin with light. Too bad those heaters do not have soome sort of control on them.

ImAnanoReefer

I have had this as a pico tank. It was my first reef tank ever. t is still going and has never crashed. Its completely stock with a small layer of aragonite sand, a tiny chunk of live rock, and zoos and GSP. I havent had critters in it because I enjoy watching the copepods and single worm that live in there. It's so small that pods and worms are major attractions. I almost love it more than my 20 gallon long!

thanks guys!

gess i will have to look in to a heater, iam thinking of trying this tank using just our well water insted of bying RO water and see how it gos, i couldent find the light before but it turns out its broken from being crushed by a box in my closet so dos anyone know a good online(preferbly canadian)store that sells these lights?(blue ones)thanks!

Best thing to do is just get a 2nd clip-on light to double the wattage. Also, if you can, make a simple lid out of some 1/8" plexi to cut down on evap.

www.aquaticeco.com has various 7w bulbs.

drowning do you hav a pic of your tank i would like to see the lights and how the AC would look on the back, and do you live in canada?

i was thinking of just ordering the 13wat light sence it seems it would be the same and a little cheaper than ordering two otheres but do they sell 50/50 bulbs for them?

also i just got out the tank and put about 1.5 lbs of sand and 1lb of cured LR in it with some crushed coral and LR pieces in the HOB filter and now iam waiting for it to clear

Best thing to do is just get a 2nd clip-on light to double the wattage. Also, if you can, make a simple lid out of some 1/8" plexi to cut down on evap.

www.aquaticeco.com has various 7w bulbs.

Got a pic?

Any concerns about oxygen exchange with the lid?

They make the bulbs for the 7 / 9 watt and 13 watt Red Sea Art Deco lights in full daylight, full actinic and 50/50 so there is a good selectin on the type of bulbs your looking for available...

If all you did was crush your plastic shade, just use a piece of PVC pipe and slit it lengthwise and make a new one. If its not broke too bad, Weldon #3 or 4 will repair it. I pitch all my shades since I usually strip them down and mount the bulb clips inside a hood with a reflector......nothing else is in the shade other than reflector and bulb assembly, the ballasts are on the plug end.

I also use a Dragon Fly and also the larger 13 watt lights in a piece of PVC pipe of 3" diameter that was split lengthwise that fits over HOB AC500 fuges....I made a new cover for the fuges, and have the PVC light shade over the opeing I cut for the light. Really reduces any infiltration of light into the tank and room at night.

that tank looks realy nice clean look! :)

well the weels in my head are still turning on this one so iam still thinking and planning, i may endup getting a whole new kit sence it seems that with a good light over it theres some scratches on the inside of the tank that dont look good, iam also not going to order off the net, i think i will just by the stuff local for what its worth, iam thinking of just using the one dragonfly light and see how it works for now and if the zoos/shrooms start to not look good i will get another light, i think i will put a AC mini on the back too to hold the heater and for more flow(do your sexys and other inverts mind the extra flow?)what i would realy like to have when this tank is astablished is with some zoos/shrooms, some sexys and i was thinking of putting my neon goby from the 10g into it way latter so i could see him more and make sure he is eating.....so it seems iam putting more work into this tank then on my 10g :D (this hobby is aditcing! but i gess if iam spending my money on this than i whont have any left for drugs! :lol: )

well time for more thinking and planning!

thanks

Pinrod Urkish

Man that must be a chick magnet. Although it does bother me when they say " awe what a cute little tank" so demeaning. But props to you and your pico.

thanks for the pics drowning :D

i was thinking of doing what dhoffroad did with the MJ and made that cool loop system with the heater in it(could someone direct me to his post on how he set up his wine glass pico i cant seem to find it)but i will have ask my grampa for help because that is his area of expearance :)

i added 2 dwarf blue leg hermits today to see how they do,(so far so good!)iam going to take a sample to the LFS today and see how its going(i cant see good enufe to test the water :(:angry: )

also this is a dum question but can someone direct me to a place that explanes how to scan pics in to the commputor and post them here sence iam a dummie when it comes to commputors(and i dont have the insterutions for my lexmart)

i mean scanning pics into the computor from my scanner(lexmark 6200)and then uploading them to nano reef.

ok ive decided that for this pico to just get the AC mini because with the time spent and the money for the MJ and fitting its pretty much the same, but i was just wondering how you cut the intake tube to fit into yours? also would i be abel to keep xenia in this with just a the 7-9wat light?

it also seems that stuff is apearing on the sand but there isent any of it in the ten, i asume this is diatoms or some typ of algea?

i was also thinking of keeping GSP i know there not that much of a lighting loving coral are they?

i did take a sample to the LFS and they said the tank seems to be going good and "you should be abel to add fish next week"(they dident know what size tank it was)but i will take some to another LFS tomorrow for a seconed test and see if they both say the same,

also this may be a dum question but what is chemipure and what are the benifets of having it?

thanks again!

sorry drowning no pics yet still learning how it all works

a quick recap on stuff, first trying to find a new aqua vase around ware i live seems to be imposibel :angry:iam trying to order one off the net but most places either wont ship to canada or charge way to much for it so iam still looking, my mom got me the petcetra nock off one thats 2g but they arent worth the money(they whant $45 on sale and $80 reg!!)also its PINK yeck!, but iam using the light that came with it till i return it :D i also seem to be getting lots of algea growth on the rocks/glass now that iam using it so if i cant find a new tank soon i may put a snail or somthing in to clean the rocks, ive moved the neon goby into the pico sence there is a 7-9" bristel worm iam trying get out of the 10 and i dont whant him to get eaten or anything like that(so far he seems happy about it :) )

and thats whats happening so far, i want to get some pics up soon but it dosent look to impresive yet anyway

so far iam holding off on doing anything yet till i get a new tank(its hard though)

i will try to get some pics of my tanks soon

thanks aqain drowing :D but that tank is 4"square iam looking for the 6" ones(but thanks for the help :) )

i think i may just take back the pink petcetra 2g tank and switch it for a blue one insted, but the light that comes with it is only 9w so i would have to try and fined another one, but iam now determind to set up one of these tanks!

tommow i will get some pics developed and try and scan them into the commputor

sence i cant find any more redsea vases around(plus my grama sent me a $50 petsmart giftcard :) ) ive decided to go with a 2.5 tank, glass top, the light that comes with the tank with a coralife 10w or 20w screw in light(if the 20w fits) and an AC 20 for current

i think i will post a new thread when i get the tank and some pics!

and thank you drowing for your help on my ettempted redsea aquavase :D

and now TO PETSMART!......when it opens :happy:

• 8 months later...

i can only find 7w bulbs for the dragonfly fixture. where are the 9w ones? also, would i have to mod the fixture at all to fit a 9w in it?

I have the black one that came with the black light right now

Galloping Goose

JFISH!

Check this light out. I have 1 of them, and just ordered another one to put on the same tank. By the way its 18w 50/50 and not 13w like the web site says. Dont know why they havent updated. Anyway they are sleek and look perfect. THESE ARE A MUST FOR ANY PICO! I have a TOM MINI DECO KIT 3gallon. I will have a total of 36w over it. Cant wait!

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/NE...s/Shopay00.aspx

primeval

I posted this link on another thread where you asked same ?'s. I can't tell you about the mod part, but this website has a listing of retailers by state.

I got my 7w daylight by taking the blacklight to the LFS and telling it was burnt out straight from the box - My setup was clearance so there wasn't another blacklight to swap with - I convinced them to change me out a bulb from another setup.

HTH

YR

also, I would like to have a 9w over the 7w if someone can tell me where to find it. And I am interested in ordering online. all of those locations are a bit far for me

Archived