SaltCritters.com

Can Dead live rock be "Re-cured"

killahbeez2000

??? ? Um, do you mean become live again? Curing is the process of the die off from transport, time out of water etc., to be cycled away so that it is a stable rock for your tank. There is no such thing as re-curing a dead rock (it is very cured at this point). You can however make it "live" again, if that is what you mean.

killahbeez2000

yes i want to make it live again im going to get it (pacific live rock) from a teacher of mine which has already lived and then he stored it and now its dead but i want to make it live again can you tell me how to do it??

Someone ( I hope) will give a better answer but this will work too. Put the rock in your tank and get a few pounds of substrate from a healthy, well establish tank and sprinkle it over your dead rock. I did this with my tank when I upgraded from a 12 to a 28. I doubled the live rock by buying dead rock and sprinkled it. It took a few months and I had to frag a few things to glue to the dead rock but it really is looking good with corraline algae and little live critters. Not perfect but very cheap.

Just add other established LR t the tank with it. The good stuff will move onto the dead rock in time. It is just that you need to give it time, it won't happen overnight.

I suggest that you ask a few more questions before committing. Was copper used in the owner's tank, for example. Also old rock used in reef tanks over the years can accumulate heavy metals at their surfaces. Not sure whether that's going to be a real issue but I'm just mentioning it in passing.

Archived