ReefCleaners.org

hermits eating shrooms???

lil reef

I just fed my 7 gal. nano and noticed one of my zebra hermits on top of my new Tonga Blue Mushrooms. He stayed there even though there was food in the tank which is kind of unusual. I removed him from the shroom and it appears that he was eating it!! Do hermits eat mushrooms? If so this one might quickly find a new home in a snow drift!! The center of the mushroom (mouth is all white).

No need to kill the poor thing.. if you suspect he's eating it.. quarantine him.. send him to the naughty hermits tank.. do something with him, but don't kill him.. he's just doing his every day thing.. If you were up for the death penalty because you smacked a spider on your arm, you'd be pretty downtrodden I'm sure.. find a home for him (whether it be with you, someone else, or your LFS.. but don't kill him :*(... it may be that he's not getting the kind of food he needs.. maybe toss in a SMALL chuck of shrimp every week or two.. maybe all he wants is some sweet sweet lovin' :)

my hermit did the same thing one time when i added a new shroom. he charged across the tank and tackled it off the rock and wouldnt let it go. i reached in and took him off and he charged strait back to it again. i couldnt tell if he was eating it though.

Some crabs and snails will attack corals that are sick or dying. Just remember even herbivorous crabs are opportunists and nothing is certain. You never know he might have been pulling some algal growth off the shroom. My guess is shroom had necrotic spots the crab was feasting on.

I've had crab/shrimp problems with mushrooms before, but only when they (edit: they=the shrooms) were *very* small. I once caught my coral-banded shrimp chewing on one like a piece of gum! :o

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I just freaked out, I just got some ricordia, hammer and the shrooms from Cquarium so you know they weren't cheap and I'd hate to loose them after a week in the tank. I'll keep a close eye on the situation and if need be the Zebras will go back to the LFS. Thanks again

Archived