Top Shelf Aquatics

Do I need a Clean-up Invertebrae?

RLiu818

I am setting up a 10 gallon fish only tank. It currently has crushed coral with an undergravel filter and im going ot add in 10 lbs of live rock soon to begin the cycling process.

I have a marineland 550 PH connected to the Under Gravel Filter and i also have a Penguin Bio-Mini.

I plan on having either 3 fish, or 2 fish + 1 invert. (4 is bad luck in chinese feng shui and plus its going to be bio-overload).

I am wondering what benefit there is to having 1 clean-up invert.

What species would you recommend for my 1 clean-up invertebrae. Notice that this is not a nano-reef, but a nano-fish only tank. However, it will contain live rock as mentioned before.

Snails and hermits... I can't really say anything for the FOWLR setup since I haven't done it w/ SW. But I would imagine two fish may be pushing the limit of a 10g. Keep in mind their adult size when buying them.

I would say 2 small fish, a few astrea snails and a cleaner shrimp. I just happen to be fond of the cleaner shrimp, and they are good for picking off parasites from the fish and eat any leftover food the fish miss. And they are just cool to watch. Not to mention you can feed them by hand if you want.

And here is just a suggestion.....if you want to keep your tank as healthy as possible, replace the CC with a sugar-fine aragonite sand, remove the bio wheel and filter material from the penguin. You can still use it to put your heater in it and for circulation. And remove the undergravel filter. Make sure the sand bed is 3-4", this is what is called a deep sand bed(DSB). Between the live rock and the DSB and weekly water changes of about a gallon or so, you will keep the nitrates and all ammonia products near 0. Now I realize you are doing fish only, but if you keep the nitrates low, your fish will be healthier and keep nuisance algae under control.Biowheels and undergravel filters are best left to freshwater tanks. These products will encourage the build up of nitrates, which you don't want in a SW tank. HTH

Archived