inTank Media Baskets

Acrylic or Glass Baffles?

J-Bass

Could I use the 1/4" acrylic sheets they sell at Home Depot for baffles in my 20gal. Long tank I'm going to use as a sump? Or better to use glass baffles?

p.s. Why didn't Ned Beatty win an oscar for his role in the movie "Deliverance"? Or did he? Squeal like a pig boy!

The Replacements - Tim -> Track 8 - Left Of The Dial: Heard about your band, in some local page, didn't mention your name. The sweet Georgia breezes, safe, cool, and warm.... headed up north.... on and on and on and on, what side are you on? errr, sorry.

p.s. You got a perdy mouth boy!

quiksilver5768

what could be used to hold the baffles if it is acrylic againct a glass tank? Having only silicone will not work well because it isnt very strong...

Originally posted by quiksilver5768

what could be used to hold the baffles if it is acrylic againct a glass tank? Having only silicone will not work well because it isnt very strong...

Hmm works for me just got to cut the plexi to fit well. Also could try using stuff called household goop. I've heard that works quite well and is aqua safe

Edit: Read some more and it is apparently the old version of household goop is aquarium safe new ones are not srry bout that.

Oooooh, careful with the GOOP.... I was just at Tarchet, or Target if you will picking up a timer so was checking out their cheesey hardware section. Well they had the whole GOOP collection... there was Household Goop, Marine Goop, All-Purpose Goop, Going Away to School and I need glue Goop, ect., ect., and every single tube said right on the label NOT FOR AQUARIUM USE.

Can only assume it's got leachin' nasties in it then... Apparently the original formula Goop in the orange tube is no more.

The problem with silicone on acrylic is that it's really smooth, so is glass too your thinking... but acrylic will flex and bow and the silicone tends to peel off so to speak... you can get a better bond if you sand it a bit on the edges first, then run your bead of silicone. If you are using the acrylic, even 1/4" thick stuff for baffles, there will be more than likely some bowing to it if the water levels are not the same on both sides to even the pressure out... prolly wouldn't be a prob with the sizes you are talking about but still that chance. Actually cutting glass is pretty easy.... glass cutter, score a line, lay over a pencil, SNAP... not to bad. Course you can cut acrylic the same way and the chance of being sewed up at the local ER is dramatically reduced... well unless you meet with a power tool accident cutting the acrylic!,hehe

Check with a local glass shop... glass is pretty damn cheap. I asked the guy at the shop about cutting some for me, two baffles 3/6" thick and 6 and 6.5 inches tall for a ten gallon tank, he said three bucks.... he ended up cutting some glass I had for a dollar! I like this guy!

3/6" - huh??? That would be different from 1/2" how exactly???

BTW, with acrylic baffles, the silicon doesn't really need to "stick" that well to the baffles. If you silicon both the front and back of the baffle, it holds pretty well...

-Ed

um Ed, 3/6" and 1/2" glass is different colored...you dummy!

Hehe, I meant 3/16"... which works out well cuz even though it's a little thicker than 1/8" and a little bit thinner than 1/4" it's still the same color as 1/2", but then again if it's in a sump you prolly don't care so you could use the 4/8" stuff if ya wanted. :D

Archived