Pod Your Reef

Will this filter work?

mhmh

Will this $30 countertop tap water filter from DrsFosterSmith.com be okay for a nano-reef?

pw_148750.jpg

Details here

Or how about the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals model that Big Al's sells for $34? ASWO2291a.gif

I live in a co-op apartment and don't want to go through the trouble of installing a multi-stage filter under the sink.

Yes, I know in the long run the $/gallon will be higher with this type, but for a couple of gallons a week to maintain a 10 gallon nano, I think I can live with the cost.

I've used it and like it a lot. It's pretty efficient IMO and used it on some old discus tanks I had. I tested the output water fairly frequently to make sure it was working and everything checked very clean. It's cheap too. The cool thing about it being clear is the DI resin turns black/purple when it's "used" up so you can see when you need to replace the resin instead of going by generic rules.

Cameron

i've used em too, with pretty good results also! BTW those two pictures are of exactly the same product, just packaging in the Big Al's ad. go fer the better deal.

tg

Thanks for replying.

Twins Guy, I had no idea that Drs. Foster & Smith's model was also made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Their prices are slightly better--$34 for unit and $17 for refills at Big Al's, and $30 / $18 at Drs. F & S, with a discount to $15 on the refill when buying 3.

Anybody have any comments about drsfostersmith.com?

obviously it depends a great deal on your tap water's quality. my mississippi river water up here on the tundra is heavy on the chemicals and i prolly get 40g/cartridge, but they're rated for somewhere between 25 and 125 gallons. obviously use the coldest water you can as it will harbor fewer dissolved solutes-which will make your cartridge last longer. HTH

tg

From drsfostersmith.com regarding the filter that doesn't tell you the brand:

Q. How many gallons of water will the Tap Water Filter make?

A. The amount of deionized water produced by the Tap Water Filter depends entirely on the level of minerals, heavy metals, phosphate, nitrate, etc. that is in your tap water. Each cartridge has a fixed ion exchange capacity. In New York City for example, aquarists can produce up to 300 gallons of pure water with a single cartridge. An aquarist in northern New Jersey, however, made 15 gallons of water. An analysis of the NJ water showed very high levels of copper, zinc, phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate in addition to the normal hardness minerals. A heavily polluted water source will use up a cartridge much sooner than a water supply low in minerals and pollutants. Most aquarists produce somewhere between 50 and 150 gallons per cartridge.

Archived