Innovative Marine Aquariums

Check this out

wetworx101

(okay my turn to be a downer)

Yeah, but um as much as DIY stuff appeals to me it's all lost on this one... I mean I love the way it blends so well as to almost disappear amongst all the pretty rock, and the compact size is appealing as well.....yes that be some SAR-CAZM!

Personally if you're going to DIY an overflow I'd much rather take a go at it with some nice good ol' acrylic.

I'd admire the ingenuity, truly I do but that is some kind of honkin' giant ugly thing!

Ummm... How are you going to prime the thing??? Also, it'll be impossible to check if there are bubbles building up in your siphon unless your get clear PVC.

I do have a PVC overflow running on my 29G - much more standard design (used 2 1/2" PVC for inside and outside overflows and vinyl tubing for the U tube).

-Ed

I agree with you guys completely. It does look big & ugly...but it can be improved upon...esp for a nano. I was thinking of clear PVC, only one bug syphon instead of two, and only two intakes. I would try to crop the intakes closer together as well...make it take up less space on the inside.

>>>My concern was with the syhon. is it possible that since the syphon is not open at the bottom...but leads right into the overflow area...could the flow be increased to the point where if the outside overflow is mounted too far below the in-tank one, it could cause the in tank overflow to temporarily suction too much and make the syphon take in air??(if in the event the aquarium runs out of water to be syphoned off.) THINK ABOUT IT. There is no internal box with extra water just in case to compensate until the flows between the internal and external overflows equalize. There is not too much error room for pressure correction between the two overflows if the inner one is too much higher than the outside one. (Like when you start a syphon sometimes and the water races out the other end of the hose even though it may be held higher than the origional water level!!!???) << but this difference in overflows heights is essential for good flow...unless we use oversize piping. I can illustrate the problem if you want. Let me know.

>>>Could a powerhead be used to keep air out of a syphon? The air intake on the powerhead, normally used for circulation anyways...could be attached to an airline port at the peak of the syphon (check valve too) to constantly grab extra air and normally water out of the syphon and put it in the tank. That way, if you start to hear bubbles...you know theres trouble??!!

The overflow from the tank to the outside area uses a siphon... from the outside part to the sump is generally gravity fed. Assuming that the vertical pipe stays open, you shouldn't have a problem there.

BTW, I wouldn't use a powerhead to suck out the bubbles from the siphon tube... check on some of the other boards (ie rc or reefs) about the CPR overflows which use the same method.

Me, I'd stick with a more traditional design or drill the tank... when you are talking about flooding ... its generally better to stick with the tried and true. Besides, when you start talking clear PVC the cost will start going up.

-Ed

Archived