SaltCritters.com

Guppies

CmApEs13

hey everyone i saw a thread on this girl putting guppies in her nano i have never heard of this before so im just wondering if you can put guppies in a saltwater tank???

At my work(lfs) we add feeder guppies to the moray tanks, w/o any acclimation and they will live for weeks until they get eaten. So, yes it is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

It is doable. Years ago Ihelped my daughter do a science project showing adaptation of fishes. We started with fresh water molies and charted adition of sea salt and had the fish to 1.023sg at the end. months later I had hundreds of saltwater molies as they were breading like crazy. I would think you could do the same with swords molies and gupies as they originated from areas where they are often found in areas where fresh water meets the ocean meaning they can thrive in fresh, brackish or even salt water. I aclimated them but I have heard you can just put them in saltwater but I dont know for shure about that part.

Coralbuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some livebearers such as mollies, guppies and platies live in places where the water can be saline at times, and fresh at others. That is why you see saltwater mollies. You can acclimate them slowly (i.e. over the period of 2-3 days, or even longer) to saltwater, and then back to FW. However, if you were to use a Goodeid (another type of livebearer), or something like neon tetras, etc, you'd just have a lot of dead fish.

what is the difference that makes them salt or fresh? I know that saltwater fish have to rid themselves of excess salt, but what keeps them from being able to be fresh water fish?

Archived