Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gal tank - skimmer needed?

HuBu

hey. i had posted before that i palnned on upgrading to a 20 gal but now i have moved up even more to a 29 gal tank. its just because that i can get the tank/stand for $20. used of course. would i need to run a skimmer on this tank. or can i just do a HOB filter with floss pad and some powerheads inside the tank and like a weekly water change.

Son Of Skyline

I have a 27gal tank and I don't use a skimmer. I just use powerheads for circulation. I think a skimmer may be a good idea if you want to keep more than 2 fish though. I only have 2 small fish and I only feed them about twice a week. I also do weekly 10-15% water changes. My water is crystal clear with no surface scum or visible traces of organics.

quiksilver5768

He could keep more than 2 fish without a skimmer...I've had 3 fish in my 10 for over 7 months now with no skimmer...just my 2 cents :)

Guest AbSoluTc

I have a 28 without a skimmer right now.  However, the water is a bit murky if you know what I mean.  I just did a water change too.  I am investing in a skimmer that will sit inside the overflow. Mostly doing this because it helps keep the water "clean" and "crisp".  Thats the main reason.

Son Of Skyline
Quote: from quiksilver5768 on 9:58 am on May 26, 2002[br]He could keep more than 2 fish without a skimmer...I've had 3 fish in my 10 for over 7 months now with no skimmer...just my 2 cents :)

Yup, you're right. I used to have 3 fish but found that I'd get surface scum on the tank even with weekly water changes. With the 2 fish I've found that my water is perfect :)

Son Of Skyline
Quote: from HuBu on 9:29 am on May 26, 2002[br]thats kewl skyline. do u also have a HOB filter on the 27 gal tank.

I do have an Aquaclear 150, but it's only for circulation. I don't use any sponge or carbon at all so the Aquaclear is just empty.

Archived