ReefCleaners.org

RODI Storage tanks? ISO assistance Plz/Ty

Dave ESPI

Im sick of 18 gal rubbermaids spilling allover in my truck and lugging 5 gal buckets. Im looking for a fairly decent 2 x 30 gal tank system I can pump RODI out of my house through a window down to my truck and into 2 large holding containers (or one large one) that I can take water from as I need it. PURE RODI will eat some plastics, so I'm not sure if Polypropylene or Polyethylene is best. I'm shortly to have a 55 gal ROUGHNECK with a floatvalve courtesy of Physh (thanky muchly) for auto shut off IN the apartment and an 800 W titanium heater in it with a decent head for circulation. Ill hook a hose (Python) up to the PH and run it down to my truck and fill up as I need. I have an AC/DC power converter (yet to be finished installed) in the truck to supply heater and heads for the containers, BUT I don't have a clue as to what to use.

Here is a list of decent links I was thinking of, but I need to find a place near me that i could swipe some containers from.

Im drawing a big blank on this one. ANd a way to mount the tanks.

I was thinking of "U" brackets of some sort and a cable strap to the frame of the truck.

Thanks fer inputs.

http://www.containerdistributors.com/plastic-drums.htm

www.comsolidatedplastics.com

www.usplastics.com

THIS LINK IS BEST> for container info so far... :

http://www.yankeecontainers.com/y2khelp/30ot.htm

Dave check this section out.......

http://www.watertanks.com/category/153/

Wife works for a landsaping company and she called up their equipment guy, at my request... She said "oh, so the Dave guy needs some help? Call him stupid and tell him to do a search!" I just had to share that, why? because she REALLY IS listening when I tell her about stuff on here! And here I thought she was just doing the polite, "hmm, that's nice/funny/interesting honey.... " oh well, gonna buy her some flowers now, she likes me, she really likes me!...lol

Anyway, this was a sight recommended for hookin ya up and he also said to check out some of the dealers that sell livestock goodies... horse tack and ect.

And my understanding is that if the plastic, i.e polypropylene(or whatever) is FDA approved for food stuffs it should be perfectly acceptable for RO water.

:D glazer! carve a notch for the mrs.! hehehe

dave,

try www.freund.com we use them for my sister company (ink mfg.). depending on how much you want to pay you can try real lab suppliers also.

polypropylene or polyethylene can be used. the FDA cert depends on the original material cert., rarely matters ime tho. get the polyethylene (HDPE) if you can. it's a tad more resistant to breakage in cold weather and typically more chemical resistant. sunlight (uv) will be the issue more than the chemicals imo. keep the containers covered with a tarp or something. uv resistant coloring/additives in the plastic are not enough.

oh btw, do a f'n search! :P really, there's some massive 400g containers (reinforced) that fit perfectly onto pickups. we use one for hydraulic oil but i don't remember offhand what the company's name is (in NJ). i would think they make other sizes too. hth

edit: actually glazer's link is perfect imo. good luck!

Like Id post WITHOUT doing a seach... COMEEE ONNN d00dz !

lets see, I listed 4 in my original post.... hmmmmmmm

Xpac... SUCK IT !

:D

nah I know yer joshing with me.... Yeah Its a bieach.. Im trying to be a LOW COST ghetto MoFo on this one. I could spend 189.90 + s/h fer a nice storage tank, but im looking cheep as possible. Even recycled..... Localy I came up with buptkis...

Im checking GE in Schenectady NY tomorrow.

Tanks asslot bieachez... B)

Dave,

Have you looked into food grade barrels...A few years ago my buddy worked at a fancy hotel with a fine restaurant. They purchased cooking oil in 30-gallon tanks that are tightly sealed and they were just throwing them out. Now I don't necessarily propose that you use the dirty ones but maybe you could find out where they are manufactured and get a couple of new ones. We used the ones that we salvaged for gasoline for snowmobile trip back to some cabins deep in the woods...they never leaked and have held up for the last 6 years to some pretty bad abuse. Just a thought. I’ll get my hands on one and see if there are any manufacturer markings on them...

Mark

Gobies, I have taht in my house.... they dont travel well in a truck that is prone to people slamming the brakes on for no apparent reason in front of it..... 33 + gallons running out my sliding door and soaked in the rug and sub flooring is NOT fun

especialy in winter. :P But thanks for reply... I think.... ???

J/K

Hey DAVE ESPI, try www.aquaticeco.com, they have great tanks for storage. I know a guy that works up there and he said that many of the LFS call them and purchase the tanks. They come in many sizes and are opaque, I believe some have valves.

[55g Brutes] dont travel well in a truck  that is prone to people slamming the brakes on for no apparent reason in front of it.....

I hadn't thought they'd be that fragile. Maybe nest a brute in a 55g+ steel drum??

Otherwise....maybe a tank designed for a truck?

www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=Polyethylene+Tanks&product%5Fid=Load+Your+Pick%2DUp+Truck+With+Tanks

hey dave, i have a farm store here that i found the large rubbermade feedbin at (for curing liverock). anyway they also had 2 types of plastic drums one is a 55gal with only 2 threaded caps on the top. the other is a 50gal rodeo style drum from Greece that had eitehr olives or peppers in it. the have a screw on ring around a rubber gasketed lid and come with a ballvave in the bottom. 25.00 was the price. i could only find ones that had peppers in it and this concerned me as the smell is still there 6 months later. but i have been using it and testing the water comming out of it for a long time and have had no problems. i had looked into the larger water containers but the price was just to much to keep water in. nice looking though. maybe once i get my peice of %$^$$&%# computer promgrams responding again i'll post a pic!X)

It probably had Olives in it, they grow LOTS of them in Greece...

Dave, Do you think it would be a good idea to get a tank with baffles to prevent the water sloshing in the back of the truck? Maybe just more, smaller tanks would do the same thing....

yeah ya'll are not really getting the gist of what I'm after. Cham you hit on something I hadn't really thought of BECAUSE I have a 30 gallon tank on my truck already... it just holds gas :D

so I don't think sloshing will be an ussue as long as the container has a secure lid. I will need some thing that I can bolt down in a frame of some kind. The search continues... I found one place that sells the tanks like chem lawn trucks use (the translucent ones mounted on the sides of the trucks) but they are a small fortune fer them like 400.00 + and are NOT very removeable heheheh. perhaps a set of racing fuel cells or 22 gal ethaline gas cans will do the trick... search contunures....

ps: GOOOGGLLEEEEEE is F'n USELESS on this one LMAO

freakaccident

You could check a septic tank company. There is one near me that has all different size plastic tanks for sale. My cousin bought one to start a pressure washing biz. He didnt strap it down well and it fell out onto a car so be careful.

Archived