Pod Your Reef

Protien Skimmer Location

reffer9391

I will be getting a 24g AquaPod (going to be here Mon.) and I would like to know so when I get the skimmer which chamber would best the best for it chamber 1 or 3. I will have a fuge. chamber 2 so I would not really care about putting it there. I have hear both sides of it. "Its better if water get skimmed before filtration" or "after filtration" so I would like to know you guys take on the topic.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the nano tanks, but put the skimmer as close to the input from the tank as possible. This is where the water will be dirtiest and you'll get the best results from your skimmer.

That you dweakl01 I have heard this and I have heard it best for the skimmer to be by the cleanest water so all it has in it is water and proteins, nothing easle you might find. Anybody easle have input.

Traditionally you place the Skimmer twords the entrance of the dirty water. In your cars this will be on one side or the other. I would place it in the first chamber, save yourself the headache of constantly having to clean out your return pump and forget the fuge. They always end up making more of a mess than what they are worth. Instead I would just add one of the UV sterilizers that CCjung sells over on his site, and maybe some carbon or phosban if need be. I have had the best luck with my cube by just using the back as a place to add Carbon or Purigen. When I added my fuge I was constantly dealing with stray algae and detritus building up in the back and also in my pump. Eventually after about a year it caused major problems with the system.

Don't know that there is really much more that anyone can tell you.

I can go into why you place a skimmer first but I think common sense will lead you in the right direction. Truth be told the 1st chamber really is the only side you will want it since it is the only chamber that doesn't have something like a pump or a heater in it.

Are you running open top or not?

No a AquaPod set-up its just someone I know says the cleanest water spot is where Skimmer need to go but everbosy ealse says oposit I just think it would be harder to deni if 20 people disagred

Q: "What's a skimmer for?"

A: "To remove crap from the water."

Conclusion: Makes sense to place it at the dirtiest spot so it can do its job.

Would you vacuum where its already clean, or where the dirt is?

you are talking about a skimmer in a NANO tank, it will make no serious difference where you place the skimmer, With such a small volume of water to move and skim the location of the input or outputs will have very litte effect on the skimming. In a nano the location of a skimmer is more of personal preference. We are talking about Tank volumes of 25 gallons or less. Now if you had a 55 gallon that might make a difference, but even then if you have the correct Gallons per hour of water movement again placement of the skimmer is more of a personal preference based on easy access for maintenance and asthetic appeal.

first chamber before any filtration..makes your filter last a bit longer by picking up some debris also..trust me it goes there first.give yourself every advantage for the skimmer..bpatrol

you are talking about a skimmer in a NANO tank, it will make no serious difference where you place the skimmer, With such a small volume of water to move and skim the location of the input or outputs will have very litte effect on the skimming. In a nano the location of a skimmer is more of personal preference. We are talking about Tank volumes of 25 gallons or less. Now if you had a 55 gallon that might make a difference, but even then if you have the correct Gallons per hour of water movement again placement of the skimmer is more of a personal preference based on easy access for maintenance and asthetic appeal.

You want the dirtiest water possible... your skimmer is there to clean it. I have a 40 breeder and my skimmer is connected directly to my overflow so it gets the filthiest water of my tank and it works like a charm.

HTH,

Joon

Archived