Cultivated Reef

My Alife and it's DSB

OxInYourBox

30#'s of suger sized aragonite and ~4 or 5 #'s of LR that I took out of other tanks. Ebo Jager 50W heater and RIO 600 for the return pump. Retrofitted the hood with a workhorse2 ballast as well as replaced the bulb as both failed (ballast died then bulb died after I replaced the ballast.) . I suck at aquascaping so I just tossed it all in there (any suggestions? :)). The DSB varies from 3" to 6" depending on current through out the tank. Don't have any specific plans for stocking yet. Might just toss some xenia into it and leave it alone and let it take over the tank :) That or sell it and get some seahorses for another tank. Onto the pics (I just did a water change as well as blew off the sand that was resting on the LR so it's cloudy as hell. Better pics later tonight:

1-12-03Front%20Close.JPG

1-12-03Front.JPG

why do u have that much sand u dont really need taht much unless you like the look????

what ever floats your boat looks good tho??

cam

When I was setting it up I was too lazy to stop pouring so I just poured the whole bag in and thought what the hell-Time to try the DSB. Once the tank matures and life spreads deep in the DSB I'll hopefully have a front hand view of it. There are some small 1" deep burrows already in the sand. Reef Ant Farm :D

Originally posted by Crakeur

when my daughter gets a bit older, can we come by and build sand castles?

ROFL

BTW the purple thing is a skeleton of some kind. I haven't searched about it yet but unfortunately it's a bit fragile so there are small purple pieces around the tank. A jawfish would be cool but it needs a mixture of substrate not just fine sand. An engineer goby would be cool or possibly a Watchman goby/pistol shrimp. My only concern would be tank size for them. Thanks for the idea and I'll post some pics if I do in fact get some burrowing life.

You're exactly right (or so my searching so far says). It was a bit more purple in the pics b/c of the lighting and is a bit more red in person.

Archived