SaltCritters.com

If My Copperband Dies - Im leaving the hobby

Guest AbSoluTc

Guest AbSoluTc

I can't take fish dying. Especially the third copperband I have now. He was fine last night, woke up this morning with him missing. I finally found him stuck in the back behind the marco. His fins all torn to hell. He's breathing pretty hard and he moves around from time to time. However, he now rests on rocks or the sand bottom.

If he dies, Im packing it up!

Yesterday evening-

11103-CB.jpg

This morning-

11104-CB.jpg

hey abs,

sorry about your loss, and maybe you should just not keep anymore copperbands, heh, I've had problems with them too. Any idea what got to yours?

Brandon

playing taps here.

Don't fret it. I have had consistently bad success with some livestock while other things I can't seem to keep under control (Xenia anyone?).

I would avoid replacing the copperband and try and figure out who or what is causing the death.

Dude, sorry to hear it. I know how you feel but these are notoriously hard to keep healthy no? Dying that fast , rapid breathing, ragged fins, maybe velvet? Don't know what to say except bummer and don't let it discourage you. Fish die despite our best care and efforts, we are taking them from the big open ocean into our homes some live longer than in the wild, some may live longer in our tanks, but they all can teach us something about the wonder of nature (corny sounding but true).

Sux d00d. Try dealing in death 24/7 a thousand heads at a rip in some months..... It all starts with the supplier. Bad fish can also be the results of tank conditions.

What have you tested for? you might have a heavy protien or quantity of stinging cels in the tank drifting around (I hear you keep anemones). Check with that, and copperbands... NOT reef safe. Butterflies nave no business in nanos.

Also what Diet and was it eating?

Did you quarintine it?

Did you test to see if there was any death or ammonia spike?

a flipped snail can easily cause issues.

Guest AbSoluTc

Did not notice that the reason for death was not explained.

Last night he was out and about fine and he just ate too. I woke up this morning and did not see him. So, I thought he jumped and started looking around the tank and on the floor. No fish.

I looked some more and finally found him. He was wedged between the back glass and the spagetti macro. I guess he struggled most of the night to get out. I don't know. I tried to help him, but the bristtle worms knew he was dying and started to prey. So, I moved him to a small tank to see if I could help any further. A few minutes later, he passed away.

Perhaps its my luck, I do not know but fish are not something I can keep alive. Even if it wasn't my fault. The only fish that I can keep happy and don't jump out of the tank are my clowns.

Im gonna burry him and his cousins tomorrow sometime.

Id look at possible terpenoids collids, acids and water params.. what salt are you using?

If fish are jumping, it is because of 3 things.

1)BAD water quality overall.

2)Environmental chemical stressors such as anemones, shrooms, and other soft corals that give off noxious chemical phenol by-priducts as a result of biological processes, and excessive excrement slime.

3) Something is disturbing the stasis "sleep phase" of the fish and causing them to dash around the tank and wedge themselves in "the herd places" This is common with nercous "food" fish. Ive lost a good many MONO angels, Lookdowns and Butterflies this way.

They are just fuking stupid fish.

#3 sounds interesting, especially with anemones in the tank. i'd tend to agree with dave that there's something in the water. whether it's a chemical or a floating nematocyst. it could've been zapped and in shock and then the transfer could've pushed it over the edge.

sorry about the loss.

Guest AbSoluTc

Not saying anyone is wrong - but - if it were a water quality or anemone thing, why haven't the clowns sucumed to their death? I know they have no problems with anemones, but even if it was a water problem?

My oldest clown is a little over a year old. The youngest is about a month old.

clowns could be immune and anyway they're tough buggers compared to fly's, tangs, and such imo.

do you have a bubble or brain coral? maybe midnight streamers zapped him. clowns tend to stay put when sleeping.

just speculating tho, could be waaay wrong. ;)

Yeah I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I lost my brownbanded bamboo shark(the shark in my avatar) not to long ago. I had had him for over a year and he doubled in size while I had him.

I have no idea. Ammonia and nitrite were at 0 and nitrate was at 50ppm(sounds high but for sharks is fine). I'm guessing it had something to do with the other shark in the tank, a larger whitespotted bamboo. During feeding he would sometimes get REALLY aggressive towards him(he even took the tip of his dorsal fin off which you can see in this pic). Thats the only thing I can think of. The whitespotted is still in the tank and doing fine and I've since replaced the brownbanded with a horn shark(he's the same length as the whitespotted but A LOT bulkier). Things are going fine so far.

Guest AbSoluTc

Nice. I onece had a bamboo shark. Before somone told me they were not for reefs. I bought him after he was born (a few days) and had him in my 155. He died a few weeks later.

Your sharks look good.

Archived