Cultivated Reef

Whats the deal with the Red Sea Prizm skimmer

SnowReefer

I just purchased a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer and placed it on my 20g reef. When should I expect results if any?? Is this thing hard to tune or is it just me. Any Experiences with these things? Thanks

well, I have one on my 20 gallon, and it's not really hard to tune. If you tell me what you have in your tank, how long it's been running and all that, it'd be easier to help. I have mine turned about 3/4 of the way open, and it pumps great amounts of gunk, and my water stays pristine. It works great for me, HTH.

Brandon

edit: it also takes alittle bit for it to start skimming, sort of a settle in period, so give it alittle time if you just put it on. and if you're having water drain in or skimmate that is too light, that it's too high.

All Skimmers take a long while to start. It might take a week.

By the way, Do those skimmers put out air bubbles into your tank??

Greg

SnowReefer,

Let me interpret Dave's comments for you:

There are many threads here about the lovely Prizm skimmer. We've discussed it until we're blue in the face - so has every other reef bulletin board.

They're hard to tune, and they're louder than most. Probably not what you wanted to hear, huh?

well, personally my prizm runs almost silent, and it doesn't put out and air bubbles, although I have heard some people that have problems with both.

Archived