Pod Your Reef

90 gal.

angelofdeath132

angelofdeath132

have a question about a 90 gallon setup-my wife and i have a 90 gallon with crushed coral,no live rock or anything else powered by an Emperor 400 and a Seaclone 150 skimmer. she wants to leave the tank as wide open as possible(no live rock or decorations) i plan to do 10% changes every week. anyway, down to the question--- she wants a yellow and a hippo tang in the 90 along with the pair of clownfish we already have in there. would the tangs be o.k. in a tank that has little or no rock or hiding places?

• 4 weeks later...

dont know if i would put the hippo in that tank. Mine loves to hide in the rocks. They seem to have a shy disposition. I have seen ones at the LFS that just lay on their side in hopes to hide from the passerbys. just my opinion.

I've never heard of that. Most hippos I've seen in large reefs are all over the place. I say get one. I love the way they look. Just make sure its eating well.

Hippo's need hidding places. A small rock pile in the center or one side of the tank would be fine. Probably no more than 20lbs of rock would do. It will also give the tangs some natural grazing area and a place to put Nori.

You could always buy one and have a taxidermist stuff it. Then you could just mount it on your wall and you would be able to look at it all day. And you would probably be saving a lot of money. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about ich-covered stressed-out fish.

I'll tell you what's gonna happen. Your clowns are going to sit in the corner up under the powerhead and all your fish are going to constantly harass and pick at eachother because there is nothing else to do. And they are going to be less colorful from being frightened all the time.

Or you could get a cat . . .

So what if you're not simulating its natural environment....They're still nice to look at.

insertGray.jpg

squishGray.jpg

LMFAO

You guys are crazy..

------------------

You should just get some of that fake live rock that most LFS sell. It looks just like it, but there is not algae on it- but you could easily grow your own on it once you put it in the tank. Give him some hiding space- and make sure that you buy "Seaweed Selects" or Nori.. They love that.

first of all, you CAN NOT keep thise fish in an environment like that for long term. The hipps are VERY sussceptable to diseases and will suffer greatly if not kept in a semi reef system. The 2 tangs are also grazers and like to work at the live rock and eat algae.

your clowns will look to objects to call " Home" and will most deff do poorly.

I would seriously suggest reading a good deal of threads and a book or 2 on salt water tanks before throwing fish in a "big glass box". While it can and HAS been done, it isn't fair to them to be kept as such.

reef5C27tardsdontposthere.gif

Archived