ReefCleaners.org

2.5 in the making..... Lo's Reef

Surfzup2k4

Dedicated to my girlfriend who was recently in an automobile accident and is in heaven now. She always told her friends I was a closet nerd because of my reef obsession haha. She understood. She liked cute little things, she had like a travel size everything B) So this one is for her, and i'm doing it all right. No ghetto rigging or setting it up to have it set up, only to be completed later. This tank progress will probably be pretty slow. I got my ideas based on other designs and I hope it all turns out great.

For the tank, I will be using a Marineland 2.5g

for the initial lighting, I have a 2x9watt Coralife Miniaqualight. When funds allow, I shall retrofit a 70watt MH in this fixture and I am going to try to leave the actinic bulb in. It will be a tight fit and I won't know what all I can do until I get more measurements.

I am planning on going with a starboard bottom, no sand

Livestock (Initial thoughts, nothing is in concrete)

-I might add a dwarf seahorse, so not alot of rock will be in this tank.

-2 Pederson's Cleaner Shrimp

neccessary amount of snails, I will probably go with margaritas or astreas, maybe a nass. or two

-soft corals initially until the 70w is added

here is a rough idea of the layout

roughsketch1.JPG

Stay tuned folks, this is going to be a good one, I promise :)

Sorry to hear about GF. I'm sure she'll help fill your head with great ideas for the pico. So far it looks like it's off to a great start. Keep it up. Don't forget to browse your dreams for ideas. :)

• 3 weeks later...

sounds like a rough experiance man.......... keep your chin up though, shes watchin! ;) Keep us updated, im excited to see how this goes!

Actually, I was sort of wondering how much I need. I am using the spray bar so I guess that will make the flow alot less intense. I don't really like strong current, just enough to keep everything moving. I am only going to have softies in there. No sps

and thanks

try the hydor pico pump. only 106 gph, but its supposed to be the smallest pump out there. i was thinking of trying the exact setup myself.

Good luck to your tank man! Sorry to hear abt ur gf...

The wife of my good friend passed away not long ago... I got him started on reefkeeping and he is pretty happy recently. Hope this hobby keeps him going too...

thats cool, there should be plenty to keep him busy. I scrapped the spraybar for now and just went with a 100gph hob filter. I used a 50w AGA heater, it's only like 5" long! It was only 20 bucks too. I will stick some pics up as soon as I can.

I put a cutting board int he bottom.... no sand :D

sorry about your gf man, i never really had a major loss in my life.

i think the seahorse idea is great, your gf would like that

Well crap, I was playing Medal of Honor the other night and I was leaning back in my chair. My elbow hit a dish that was on my desk and it slid into the tank, luckily, it hit it in the corner at the joint and not on a flat pane. The tank cracked but did not rupture. Now I have a 10g on my desk since you can't get a glass 2.5 around here ANYWHERE :(

• 3 weeks later...

HORRIBLE pics, and I just turned the lights on in the tank, but I have to take what I can get. I don't have a digital camera and I had to use my roommates. Here it is, right on my desk in my dorm. I really need to finish the hood up. This tank's been up for a few weeks.

Desk11111.jpg

Desk22222.jpg

desk33333.jpg

nice desktop picture =P

and i think you have 2 clownfish right? do they host anything?

actually yes, they have taken an extreme liking to my hairy mushrooms haha

Archived