inTank Media Baskets

Color Loss on Clown

hicksonj

I have a clown, which has been in my tank for about 2 weeks. In the last 2 days, he has begun to loose color in spots. He has a yellow/light orange patch under his side fins, a few small bleached spots on his side, and some lightened spots on his fins. All discoloration is very subtle, but still noticeable to an obsessive reefer. His eyes are clear and behavior is normal, although I never see him sleeping, which doesn't mean much. I have fed him about every 3 days, and I see him eating algae or something off the live rock often. Because of my lights, I keep my tank temp at a constant 83. My levels are perfect. What could this be, how do I deal with it, and what other info do people need?

wow.. temp sounds real high.. maybe reduce your photo period.. try feeding him daily instead of every three days and try to get that temp down... If you have an HOB, look into getting a chiller that can fit in lid if you can't do something about it.. I believe several of this site's sponsors sell them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am with Xavier. Go for those obvious extremes and try to bring them a little more into standard practices since you are not sure of what is happening and limiting variables is all you can really do for now. Bring the temp down with a fan(s) or chiller and increase feeding. I feed my clown two (very) small portions a day.

Archived