inTank Media Baskets

Now it has happened to me. Damn crab!

LiQuiD

Well, I have for a very long time, recomended emerald crabs to people. They clean the rocks very well and I hve never seen one bother any of my coral in any tank. Last night I walked past a 12 gallon nano and watched the little basterd grab, rip out, and consume like 3 polyps from one of the toadstools. I think it would have kept grazing if the leather didn't pull them in as quickly as it could. I will still keep him in that tank for a while to watch him and make sure he doesn't destroy any coral. A little nibble here and there may not be bad, but if it starts to consume whole corals, thats another story and he will be sent to the prison tank for the remander of his life.

I took this picture about 30 seconds after he plucked them out.

hey metz,

didn't you just lose your clown too? maybe you've got something nasty floating in there (chemical-wise). ???

i was thinking about your clown post the yesterday and it seemed odd because a clown should be able to pull free from the intake normally. i thought maybe you've just got a really strong ph but with the crab thing i'd start investigating or at least run some Polyfilters and carbon awhile. ;)

well i think i have come to the conclusion that the clown tired itself out from swimming in the current ALL the time. it would never sleep, it would just swim all the time. i have tested my water and everything looks okay. but i am going to do a 2 gallon water change tommorrow just to make sure. all the corals look fine so idon't know what is wrong?

Archived