ReefCleaners.org

got my new glass hang-on fuge

reefriot

i wanted to add a refugium to my minibow and didn't want a powerhead in the tank like the aquafuge so i contacted Christian at www.wetdryfilter.com after a couple of emails about size, function,and weight. we decided to make it sit behind the tank instead of hang-on. the unit is the same width as the tank and 5" deep, it is about 5" taller than the tank to allow a gravity feed back into the tank. the origianl strip light that came with the tank fits ontop of the fuge like it was ment for it.

fuge has 3 chambers with a maxijet 600 in the first chamber and 1" bulkheads for intake and return. i have a 6" sandbed in it to bring the macro and frags a bit closer to the light.

i decided to give christian a shot at making this after i saw Lunchbuckets 20H he ordered. all i can say is i'm very happy with the quaility and price as this should outlast a CPR fuge and is more versital as far as what it can be used for.

heres a couple pics

• 2 weeks later...

From what I see, it prolly sucks in water just like a power filter. Gravity forces the water to drain down the tube on the left automatically from the water being sucked in. Pretty slick, no worry about an over flow or plumbing problems.

that it is. had bruce cut down a ultra reef pendant for me and i installed 3x32w pc's in it. just got back from a club meeting yesterday and made out like a bandit! the fuge is now stuffed with 4 types of green culerpa and one red macro. i wonder how much is too much as the main chamber is crammed from top to bottom. also got a few new colors of zoo's and 3 new variety of plating montipora. one with blue polyps one with purple polyps and one with a purple/pinkish polyps.

humm

i love that design how tall is it and how wide i like that design and want to put one on a 20 high do u think it would work or will it hang on tank humm from teh base of my tank to teh top its 19 inches. how do u think this would work??? can it work?????

maby i could make a little platform?? thanks for the help cam

cam its 14 1/2" to the bulkheads so yea it would probablly hang on a 20high. but why ya worried about it i'm not gonna sell this one so just get christian to make the right height and width! remember it was my demensions.

well as many people as i deal with on the boards and in my club i've picked up all but 4 colors from other reefers. now its time for ricordea tank huh! talk about emptying the wallet!

Cha-Ching $$$

Yeah, but that will be a nice display.

I am going to be ordering zoos from thelogicalreef.com, I am just conserned about putting as many as you have because right now I have many other corals in my tank and once everything starts to grow I don't want anything fighting for space. I currently have bright green and orange zoos and they are doing very well.

thats can be a problem, zoo's arent going to really sting anything but the green leather in my tank now has zoo's growing all around the base of them. a friends larger tank had a single zoo polyp that was fighting with some pink star polyps and the stalk was 4.5" long. it just had the disc above the star polyps and the star polyps kept climbing up it. funny looking!. i will be removing the sps and the green star polyps and mushrooms as soon as i decide on another nano. looking at a couple of christians drilled nanos. a 20high like lunchbukets for a sps and a 10gal for ricordea. just gotta figure out where to put them!

i am planning on getting some zoos from bryan to but will be a few weeks till he gets some more in for sale

I would love to do multiple tanks but I think I will stick with my 20g for now and just move some of my corals, like all my mushrooms together, if I have room somewhere else, I may move my sps to a different area. This way I will have the whole center of the tank for zoos.

i wasent gonna take yours lol

i was just wonderin i woder id a 20 h could take the waight od ttaht hangin on it prob would but i woud duport it for dhure rsd lookin tank bro thatnks for the help

cam

whoa! i don't speak no reefin slang! i hear ya. the thing is pretty heavy as its 1/4" glass so even on a 20h would be ify. if ya got the room behind the tank i would just have it sit on the stand so you can get the extra depth. i think if i did one for a 20 then i'd make it as wide as the tank then have him put 2 chambers for the fuge area(use the small deflection wall). that way you can have a side for macro and a side for frags. i have so much macro in mine now the poor xenia frag i left in the bottom doesn't get much light.

ha ha ha sorry just woke up,

i wasent going to take yours ,but im wondering if that my 20 high i have will be able to hold 4 gals aganst the back. i kinda want it to hang on but i also clould make a stand for it to stand on behind the tank. ill just make up some other dementions thanks for the help

Archived