SaltCritters.com

Suffering from Hair Algae? - Solution Within

Guest AbSoluTc

Guest AbSoluTc

Ive been seeing alot of posts and tanks that suffer from hair algae. I have also seen everyone trying everything under the sun to get rid of it.

FEAR NO MORE!

When I was trading a while back, I got a couple rocks that were plauged with hair algae. I decided to put them anyway. Well, a few minutes later a swarm of stomallea snails were hot on the case. Within an hour - there was no more left.

If you have hair algae, GET SOME STOMALLEAS! They will have your tank clean in days (depending on how much you have). They reproduce in aquaria and you can never have enough. They are also mostly nocturnal.

Get them and solve your algae problem! You won't be disapointed!

I haven't seen them available at any of my supplier houses, you have any d00dz that have them? SITE LINK? Ill take a 100 if they are decent sized. The ones I ususaly see are tiny... like pinhead sized. Also, what is the EXACT latin species name, as there are 3 variations.... thanks.... ;)

Inland Aquatics sells them in their "poop-eating" kits as well as individually.... like any seafood, will need to check availability and market price. ;)

Oh and for our Cannuck bro's...

saltwaterconnection.com

And Dave.... I suck total ass at Latin but the only ones I have ever seen referred to are Stomatella Varia.... hmmm, varia, does that like mean various? as in any of them? I got no clue but I do got some of them in my 'fuge! They like just showed up, first I saw two or three now I see 10 or 12... biggest ones are little over the size of a pencil eraser. I'm guessing they came on a chunk of sketti macro I picked up from a guy awhile back.

Guest AbSoluTc

Dave-

I don't know the latin name. Sorry. I was trying to find out what it was but there is little info on the net about these snails, even though they are in alot of peoples tanks.

These snails go together with spagetti macro. They don't have to, but it seems as though they reproduce in them and the macro provides shelter for the smaller ones to grow up. Its not need, but highly recommended, at least by me.

Now, the ones I have are black, brown, and cream. Different colors of the same thing. Perhaps they are a subspecies I dunno. If anyone is intrested in them, send me an email and I can get you some nfo on them.

I do have them and would be happy to give/trade if anyone is intrested. At most, I could send 10 to each person along with some macro. You may get more than ten, you may get 8. Either way your going to have a healthy supply in a short time due to there hornyness :)

Im just suprised that noone has these, at least the people with hair algae problems.

Send me an email if your intrested.

Kris

I occationally see the stoms you sent crawling around the rock and glass.. still waiting to see them reproduce.. I need them to start workin' that snail magic!

Varia refers to the variable nature of the animals' phenotype; they vary in color, size, shell shape, etc...but are the same species.

I've never seen them for sale, but I also see them in many tanks at most LFS's.

One problem is that they are easy prey for many fishes and Lysmata shrimp. I got about 20, including some large ones from an LFS for free and my Lysmata wurdemani ate them all. He also enjoys small free LFS limpets. So if you have pretty much any Lysmata, but especially those that lean toward mobile prey over polyps, the Stomatella will do you no good (unless you need fun food for your shrimp).

Howdy,

Nishant, you think the "Sea Bunnies" are stometella in disguise?

That would be great, I'd love to get some, but here is what scares me :....and I quote

" Sea Bunnies have (we are not making this up) an erectile penis, which they wield with startling frequency. They are hermaphroditic and (we are shocked to report) extremely promiscuous! "

END QUOTE......so, I buy some bunnies, next thing you know I'm watching Christopher Lowell and redesigning my bathroom! :)

Peace, Bryan

I have no hair algae problems and a whole crew of stomatellas on the job. Maybe that's where my luck comes from. Had a single snail hitchhike in with my LR and it has reproduced again and again. Even saw him spewing his "seed" into the water column one day. Mine range in size from a few mm's to an inch.

the only thing i can suggest is searching the lfs LR holding tanks. or keep searching the web.

currently i have 4 possibly 5 types of stomatella between 3 tanks. no clue as to what species though. they "spew" (as satchmo calls it) almost on a daily basis in my 10g, usually in the late morning.

btw, i am pretty sure that the "sea bunnies" are not stomatella. if they were, home depot wouldn't be losing money, because everybody would be redesigning their bathroom! :P

quiksilver5768

Hey satchmo, just so that I know what to look for at the LFS rock bins, do you have a pic of one of these stomatella snails?

Also, how do hermit crabs get along with these guys? Should I get rid of all my crabs (in some way which I have yet to figure out) so these snails can reproduce and live happily?

No pics, but you can search the web and come up with a boatload I'm sure. They look almost identical to limpets- like a little slug wearing a baret. Crabs are fine. Most hermits kill snails for a new home. Stomatella shells are useless to them. Actually, no one seems to bother with these fellas in my tank.

quiksilver5768

Actually, not very many pics can be found of these guys (atleast when I tried). I do have some limpets in my tank that I have taken from the LR bins but do they look exactly the same? Or do they have some other type of color variation or diffeent type of shell or something...

sea bunnies are funny little buggers. got some in my fuge. lettuce nudis work wonders on hair as well. sadly, mine got caught in the intake of my powerhead not once but twice (small brained idiot) and died. Thankfully, they are not toxic and the tank has only continued to flourish. The hair algae isn't so bad anymore (algone) but adding a couple of stomas and a new lettuce is my next order of bidness. I loved the slug with all m y heart and everyone who looked in the tank was always most impressed with sluggo over the corals, the xenia, the zoos (sorry Bryan) and everything else that rolls thru there.

quiksilver5768

yea, the nudi seemed to help a little bit but he somehow just disapeered...hmm...I plan on getting another one sometime soon.

Im also, using algone and have been for about 2 weeks now and I still notice new algae growing. Not hair algae but, a little of red-slime and a little cyano here and there. But I have an urchin in my tank and he does wonders on the carpets of hair algae I have, and so far, the places which he grazes on stays algae free, so maybe the algone is working to stop hair algae from growing anymore...hmm

Guest AbSoluTc

As of now, I can fill 2-3 more 5-10 snail orders. After that, I will not be able to offer them till they breed again.

So, if you want some, you need to email me pronto. These snails need next day air shipping. Which is 30 bux anywhere in the US. 2nd day will not work. Ive tried. The snails are 5 for $5 or 10 for $10 plus a nice chunck of spagetti macro full of worms and pods and maybe some bristtle stars.

Just let me know!

Kris

Satch, I know you & Crakeur live pretty close & probably trade stuff often. But if your stomallias keep multiplying and you want to ditch a few, I'll give you a good price for 'em (you'll have to ship to Texas).

Spent all day looking for the little guys around here...no joy.

Ross

Edit: Crap, just saw AbSoluTc's post (we were posting concurrently) - I'll get some from him....

Archived