inTank Media Baskets

7gal. mini bow

CPaviary

Hello Im intrested in getting a all glass 7gal. nano besides the actual tank and kit what would I have to do to make it a sucessful nano?Would the lights and filter be ok? I would like to keep a clown or 2 along with live rocka nd maybe some coral.Thanx for all the help.:)

First take out the standard NO lights and add a 2x32w CSL retrofit (w/ 50/50 bulb). And take the media out of the filter and use it primarily for water circulation (IMO, add carbon occasionally to help your water clarity and maybe take out some toxins). Also add a mini-jet or two (either plain or w/ a sparybar rig). I would get an Ebo Jaggar heater (50-75w).

Get all this along with about 12-18lbs. of LR (just my preference) and a DSB. Keep your corals to low light corals and your bioload to just the two fish. Regular water changes and you should be fine. HTH

Looks like a pretty good kit. Except I would do away with the undergravel filter and I would like to know the wattage of the compact florescent. But yea, I think it would make a nice nano.

I was readying about them on this forum its a 13 watt but they are coming out with a add on so It could fit two 13 watts so i would be 26watts is that good?Alsowould that be a good filter?Sorry Im a newbie and Im not to good at this stuff.Thanx

Personally (<-- means this is my preferences and not the "only correct way") I would go with the mini-bow. Initially I really liked the Azoo setup (I still like it, mainly because of it's uniqueness), but now I like the mini-bow better, reasons: 1.) If the filter goes out on the Azoo then you will probably have to replace the whole hood. 2.) I am not familiar w/ the track record of Azoo PC lights, and I know (and have) about CSL (good lights, IMO). 3.) Also I like the more watts of the CSL (32w vs. 26w), although 26w by all means would sustain some corals.

Don't apolagize for being a newbie (we all started there). We all have to start somewhere, atleast you are researching and reading and asking ?'s before making decisions.

harbingerofthefish

I think the 7 bow w/CSL 32 smartlite is a common set-up. Easy, no mods needed. Get a small HOB (wally world-$14) and a micro-jet or like ( I have the Top-Fin 75gph model-works fine $14) You'll see a lot of tanks simirally set-up, and doing shrooms, softies and LPS's just fine.

If you do get the 7 bow and have no need for the light and ballast that comes with it, you can always send it my way :)

I take them and screw them under my kitchen counters for our FW tanks :D

HOB is a hang on back filter. it is jsut a type of filtration that hangs on the back of the tank. the 7 gallon mini bow with the csl 32 watt retro is great for those small tanks and you can keep a large variety of corals.

So do you think I should go with the aga 7gal or the Azoo 7gal?Right Now Im leaning towards the Azoo because of the lighting but Im not shure?????????

nice choice ;)

you can retro a 32 watt CSL in the minibow's existing hood..

( http://www.oc-creative.com/reef )

there you can find the information on how to start up your minibow..

IMO, you should ditch the lava rock, and buy fiji LR instead..

if you can find a store that sells jakarta live rock, that would be better.. ;)

you can use any kind of powerhead, like rio 50, which is what i love using..even tho many people hates them..for i dont know what reason..HAha

next thing, is a heater, ebo jager are the most popular one.. 50 or 75 watt..

HOB filter is not needed but ts better to have one, just in case ;0

and your all set...

all other info can be found throughout this board, and most importantly ( http://www.nano-reef.com/info/ )

good luck..

mike

But if I have to buy new lighting and a powerhead wouldnt be smarter to just buy a Tank and hood along with the light and powerhead?If All Im going to use is a the tank whay buy a kit? Im soory if I read your post wrong or am I missing something? ???

harbingerofthefish

I guess that's the problem with kits. They aren't really set-up for reefs. By the pic. the azoo has a Power Head, so if you can easily upgrde the lighting on it, I wouldn't see the problem. It has the filtration mounted in the hood right? That would just replace the use of a HoB filter. The HoB is mainly for increased water flow to keep dead areas moving, and for surface agitation (gas exchange). The ability to add carbon, floss, etc is just a bonus.

For the price it might just come down to what you like better, looks wise.

p.s. where in florida are you? I'm between Mobile and Pensecola.

Im in Jacksonville There is a LFS near me called Aqua Zoo really nice animals and supply I will go check them out tank wise some time soon. Maybe they will have a small tank I could use I would really like to get around buying a kit full of stuff I would need to replace. What is a good ligt for a nano I would like to keep the cost low do you know of any?

harbingerofthefish

the besy way to order lights is online. Most LFS don't carry the small power compacts. They can always order them but you know they'll jack you.

Simplest way is the CSL smartlite (before mentioned) Costs around 50 online. I got mine from FFexpess.com.

Multiple tubes florescents is deffinatly going to require your building skills.

just to let you know, the lighting that the AGA comes with which is a 14 watt NO...is good enough to keep low light corals like button polyps and mushrooms...

Archived