SaltCritters.com

BioWheel?

Crimper

Just wondering,

would it be benificial to keep a biowheel HOB filter as part of my water movement system?

From my experiance with Cichlids this is very helpful for bacteria colonies.

I understand that no media in the actual filter is needed accept for maybe some carbon.

As i was pricing everything out i noticed that the Marineland Biowheel filter is about the same price as the powerhead I wanted.

what do u recommend?

Thanks

Keep the filter for circulation and carbon, sure. I'd yank the biowheel though. You can only grow enough bacteria to match the waste load of your tank. Liverock takes care of this. A biowheel is only going to compete with your rock. They work great on FW though. In marine tanks, they're just noisy, splashy, bubble makers.

EDIT: Oh, you didn't buy it yet... don't bother. If you want a HOB (very handy for running occasional media), go with an AquaClear. Simple, cheap, reliable. What size tank? I wouldn't rely on a HOB alone for circulation. You'll most likely want an additional powerhead.

I think that's your best bet. I run an AC200 and a Rio 90 (I know, I know) and I get good water movement. Aim them so that the outflows intersect and you'll get some nice random and turbulent flow.

Archived