Innovative Marine Aquariums

silicone bonding.

redline

I was in the local hardware store looking at silicone to bond the overflow box to my tank and noticed that GE pure silicone is "not for use in aquariums"... it seems to me that pure silicone is pure silicone... can anyone out there tell me if this is true or do they just want me to spend twice as much for the same product?

They also had "marine silicone" but it didn't have the same warning... can i use this or am i forced to pay $20 for a tube of special "aquarium grade" silicone?

humm get weldon4 glazer recomended it to me and it works wonders totally safe too btw if it says not for aquaiums i wouldent use it juts because it prob has some sort of agent that is not good for the tank itself

cam

red,

I recommended the WeldOn to Cam for stickin' acrylic together, hell maybe he DID stick it to the glass that way too..lol

I just stuck my overflow to the tank with silicone...just bought a small tube from one of them major pet store chains ya know, 3.99 or something like that.

GE has a Silicone I and II and for whatever reason I have a mental block on remember which one is the good one... the one you want will say right on it "food safe", may not mention aquariums though, but that's otay.

Curious, did you read the label on that "100% Silicone" tube? Lots of words listed in the ingredients that seem to be lacking for consonants....usually there is mold inhibitors and UV protectants (so it won't yellow) in the stuff you DON'T want along with a few other "nasties" that can leach out.

As glazer mentioned, there's GE I and GEII. One of them says not for aquarium use... the other doesn't. Use the one that has no mention of aquariums. Worked fine for me. If you want to be extra careful, our Home Depot also carries tubes of DAP aquarium sealant (about double the price).

-Ed

I have some acrylic sheets I want to glue together, does weldon 4 have to be mixed like epoxy?

I checked at home depot and a few hobby shop, but they don't seem to have it.

No kimura, the WeldOn does not require any mixing... straight from the bottle it's good to go. If you want to make it thicker as the No. 4 has the consistancy of water, you can dissolve some acrylic chips or shavings into it.

As far as finding it...don't know what else to tell you other than hit the yellow pages for plastic dealers in the area. It can be bought online as well. USPlastics I believe sell it but a Google search should land you a plethora of online retailers.

Kimura- (or anyone else in SD)

If you ever need some more cement for bonding acrylic just go to ridout plastics in Kearny Mesa. They have everything you need

Archived