Top Shelf Aquatics

Custom Nano Design

DLN

Hello Everyone!

I have set sail on a little project for myself and I need some of your fine expertise. I am designing a nano tank that will be custom built by Tenecor Inc. Refer to the image below:

ntv99a.gif

I have the basic tank layout set but I need some suggestions as to what would be the best way to get water from the display tank to circulate through the refugium. I was thinking 2 mini jet pumps; one pumping water from the refugium into the display tank, and one vice versa. I do not know if that will be enough water movement to keep sufficient natural filtration. Also, I would like something to organize the electrical cords (so i dont have 6 cords flowing out of every corner of the tank) or even to somehow wire everything to use one cord (excluding the lighting system). Is it possible to have a hole, put the cord through it, and then seal it water tight? (so you cant see the cords of the pumps)

Oh, and the whole tank will be about 3' by 3'. (I have not calculated gallons yet, what do you think it will be?)

Please feel free to apply your suggestions to the image above and post them for me to see.

Thanks!

Hmmmm, well I would and could have lots to say about what I think would make a great setup.... but before I would do dat I would get "nano" out of my head.

A 3 foot by 3 foot tank at say 12" tall (I can only assume you didn't mean it was 3 foot tall as well!) is like a little over 65 gallons of water.... not really um, "nano-like". ???

And from my understanding, Chris produces tanks just like this...not sure to what degree he's doing it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, methinks.

Your right lol, better make it 18 inches instead of 3 feet.... I know chris makes them, but i would like mine to be unique. So any help would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions!

i would skip the feed pump (to the refugium) and just let it overflow into the fuge from the volume of the return pump (from the refugium). you could setup a baffle system if you're worried about turbulence. the overflow (if done over a sufficient area/length) would give you the slow flow that is more optimal for a fuge setting.

or maybe a single return in the middle with two cascade waterfalls in the far corner or just plain overflows. i like that setup more because typicaly LR is stacked in the middle anyway and the middle return creates a reef crest effect in that instance. also the water current is balanced with minimal dead spots imo.

another school of thought is not having an entire backlength fuge but just a substantial center tower against the back. this allows for hob's and a reef cliff look imo. good luck! hth ;)

Archived