inTank Media Baskets

New gsp's Pict

xofinnocent

Woohoo! First Coral! Under good conditions GSP will start to spread in no time. The purple mat they grow from will begin to grow (flow) out and cover anything the colony is on. They are known to grow quite fast!

Good luck,

Gil

nice picts :P sry had to get ya for that. i was thinking of getn a gsp for my first coral in my 2.5 too lol good choice for a first coral and good luck with it,Chris

gill u get your goby

ps i just fragged my gsp and they wont open im thinking its just the stress and i changed current what do u guys think cam b

NOT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD OR ANYTHING BUT.......

Cam,

I picked up the goby yesterday. Thanks again for holding it for me man.

Sometimes GSP wont open for a few days after fragging. I'm sure they will open soon Cam.

Gil

heh now when u say gsp you meen green star polyps? well then i would say i used to but now i have brown star polyps does that count too?

nishant

harbingerofthefish

or your gsps could just go like mine. One frag crusted up and died. The other still has the little white dots on the tips like they are thinking about opening, but I think thier just screwing with me.

I was in the local fish store yesterday and a guy came in asking for an angel or something that eats coral. We asked why and he said green star polyps have taken over his tank. 75 gallon reef and he said the entire back wall was covered and all powerheads were encrusted. I asked him if he wanted me to come over and start scraping them off or at least I would offer to buy him a new power head and take an encrusted one. Then I paused and thought I might throw my tank off if I brought home a huge ass colony of GSP.

I would have liked to have seen the tank at least.

Whoa! That's a trip. Encrusting GSPs. I would love to see that.

My large GSP rock closed up yesterday, but the smaller one I frag'd off is doing well. I don't know why???

I think it's too close to the toadstool. The toadstool is peeling away some crap off of it again, maybe that's why.

Recommendation:

I had gsp for awhile and could never get them to grow. Then one day I talked to a guy on the phone and he told me a secret:

Place the coral near the back wall and the top and place a power head so that it blows gently across it. The power head does not have to be on a wave maker, just a constant flow will stimulate growth. Also, being next to the glass, once it starts to grow, it will grow on the glass and you can scrap it off and move it or frag it!

I tried this and within weeks I could see the growth. Once I tore down the 65 they were growing in, I noticed how much had actually grown, WOW, it was a lot!

GSP's are pretty hardy. When I got mine, for the first few weeks they wouldnt come out properly and I was worried. I then put the rock of GSP near the upper back of the tank against the glass. Now many months later the GSP has grown onto the glass and is spreading. zzz

Have any of you every got gsps from thelogicalreef.com. I am going to be ordering some zoos from him soon and was considering getting some gsp from him. I know his zoos are top of the line but how about his other corals?

So far everything I have seen on his site is AWESOME!!!

Thats wierd. My gsp's have prolly doubled in the last 4 months I had them. While my Xenia and Capnella have more than tripled in size. Well the Xenia exploded from 3 frags to 30!! I recieved all at the same time to.

Mine sit on the bottom on a single piece of LR in the sand because I don't want them spreading all over. Maybe I should move them up but I don't want them spreading like mad.

I don't get it. I know their getting a nice gentle current where their at, I can see them wave. Maybe its just not enough light?

I am not sure what lights you are running, but I had them in a 65, under 4-96W power compacts and they were about 4" from the water surface and the lights were about 10" off of the water.

Well' looking back at pics when I first got them I guess they have grown quite abit. More than doubled, I guess I always hear how they spread so rapidly I thought they would get alot bigger in a month or 2. Well, bigger than they are.

Anyway I have a 20g with 110w of PC lighting. Their on the bottom but I'm gonna leave them there, now that I realize they have grown quite a bit.

do you have any pics of your 20g. I have just set-up a 20H and right now 3-55W pc and will get the fourth later this week. I will try to take a pic tonight. if you do have any pics, please post it!!

:)

I have read that placing them in current will help them open up. I got a frag from a friend over a week ago and was waiting for a couple hours watching it hoping it would open up. I was in the chat room and asked how long it normaly took and they said it could take many days. Abs asked if I said the magic word "open seasame." I did and looked over and my GSP had opened!

Yes I do. Although I'm not at home right now. I'll post them tonight. I've been meaning to post some pics. Its been since Sept. when I originally got my frags since I've posted any pics.

Tank 9/12/02. It looks way different now. You can barely see the Capnella(its on the left, about a inch tall, 3 frags of Xenia to the top right, The GSP with the rubber band around it bottom center.

attachment.php?postid=774067

GSP 9/12/02

attachment.php?postid=774086

Capnella

attachment.php?postid=774089

Xenia

attachment.php?postid=774081

I'll post current pics tonight. I also have some more softies(Colt, Finger leather) that aren't in the pics.

How long had the tank been set-up when you took these pics? Was your rock purchased that purple or did the coraline grow while in your tank.

Also, what lights are you running, 67K 88K 10K 03 ???

Um, I believe I set the tank up in the end of July. So it was up about a month and a half. I bought the rock from a LFS and was basically that covered. very nice rock especially for LFS around here. Although the one rock( the rock with the Capnella) to the back left was pretty bare, you can see in the picture. Its now basically covered with coralline. I also have re-done the landscape and believe it looks 10x better.

Those pics were tak'n the day after I put the frags in the tank, I got them at our local TCMAS(twin cities) meeting on 9/11. I was happy when they all opened there polyps that night, even the GSP after fragging! If I had to do it again I would have gone more slowly with the fish, but oh well. The tank is still doing great. I'm primarily keeping softy's because I want to master keeping my water stable, before I go for more demanding animals.

No skimmer

No sump, just weekly water changes of RO/DI and IO

17.5lbs of LR

20lbs LS

1- 55w 7,100k light(I dunno it was a wierd number that I don't normally see)

1- 55w 03 actinic

Halimeda

Percula

Yellowtail Damsel

Combtooth Blenny

I only dose Kalk, 2 times a week.

Archived