Cultivated Reef

Blue Tort with new Macro Lens

bobioden

First pic taken of the polyps on my Oregon Blue Tort with my new Canon Ef 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. I can't wait til I figure out what this lens can do.

Bob

T100.jpg

did you use a tripod for this? looks like handheld. A bit of shake to it. I would definitely suggest tripod and using timer setting on coral shots. Also, what ISO did you use, a bit of background noise there :)

did you use a tripod for this? looks like handheld. A bit of shake to it. I would definitely suggest tripod and using timer setting on coral shots. Also, what ISO did you use, a bit of background noise there :)

Yes, it was handheld. I will pull the tripod out and experiment with it tomorrow. ISO was 800, should it be lower? What is a good ISO for coral shots? I was just so excited to get the lens that I took a few quick shots before the lights went out.

Bob

Bob, definitely a tripod, and make sure you are completely perpendicular to the glass, since you are so close, it will cause problems if you are not.

What canon model are you using? 20D and XT can do 400 safely, Rebel should not go over 200 for clean photos.

Use a tripod, a remote or timer shutter release, and experiment with aperture. Smaller aperture (larger F number) means greater depth of field. When I do macros I typically try to maximize depth of field as my first priority but it depends on what you want to accomplish.

I thought the ISO noise was no big deal, but I have a small sensor camera that is MUCH noisier than any DSLR. I would love to have ISO 800 that looked like that.

Since you spent all that money on a nice camera and glass, get a tripod and ball head to do it justice!

I have the BH-3 and I love it.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheadbh3.html

The Bogen 3021 tripod is great too. With these two items I can take photos that would be impossible with a cheapo setup. The way the 3021 lets you position the camera is... well, there is a picture here.

http://wrongcrowd.com/stereo/other/rig.jpg

It's a bad picture since I used a crappy camera to take a picture of my good camera, but look how the camera is out on the end of a horizontal extension. I use that all the time for tank macros. You can even put the legs horizontal if you are trying to fit a weird space.

Anyway, great, great rig and I am really glad my camera snob friend talked me into it.

Archived