Innovative Marine Aquariums

starting a 1 gallon pico

Sea_Of_Treachery

Sea_Of_Treachery

alright for christmas im going to be setting up a 1g pico reef. and this is what i will be getting. it comes with a nano filter and a tiny pc light, which i hope will be enough to keep a good amount of shrooms, and a zoo colony or 2.. will put a pund of ls and a pound or 2 of lr. i will put 2 sexy shrimp in there, with a hermit and snail or 2. maybe a tiny fish if i can , but im thinking this would be way too small. how much of a w/c and how often do i do on a tank this small? also need idea for a tiny heater.maybe a powerhead, but i guess the filter will be enough movement. thanks

who makes that tank..it looks like the read sea Aquavase a little but is it/// where do you get it???? ok...for my pico for the water change i just take out half of a cup..or a whole cup depending on the size of the cup...just guestimate for the w/c ....um for heater get like an Aquaclear 30 or something..mod it so the flow isnt to strong..just enough...and then put a 6" heater in it thats 25w ....HTH

Josh

Sea_Of_Treachery

should i do a bb or have about a pound of sand? also how much lr, i was thinking 3 pounds? also would it be possible to keep a yellow clown goby?

should i do a bb or have about a pound of sand? also how much lr, i was thinking 3 pounds? also would it be possible to keep a yellow clown goby?

In a tank this small the LS would be just for asthetics. If you like the look of BB, go for it. If you like the look of sand, do that.

3lbs LR might be a little much, especially if you want to have corals/inverts in there. Leave room for water!

I would strongly advise you against getting any fish in a system this small. You'll have enough of a bioload with the inverts. Even people in the 2.5gallon pico contest are advised against fish. I think 5-7 gallons would be the bare minimum before I started considering fish.

Just my

post-13109-1134159298_thumb.jpg

Im not sure which one you saw but i saw what appears to be the same tank in a shop in Enfield, north of London, You had a choice of 11W or 7W Compact T5 lighting, the 11W is MORE then enough for polyps and mushrooms, and I personally think some zoas and shrooms would grow under the 7W.

Good little tank tho.

Ben

This looks like the Aquavase from redsea, it is closer to 3/4 gallon than one gallon, so don't go crazy on the LR or LS.

I have one, light is different, but seems the same. It is pretty nice, I just moved it out of the office, as I will be away for two weeks over the holidays.

My tank is ambient, and hermit, snails are doing fine. Going to move my two remaining sexy shrimp from my 6g Nanocube into this (they tend to iritate my GSP), and add some other crustecean.

Do a 10-15% water change twice a week, it should be fine. Easy to maintian. One thing tho, I did not cycle with this, as I moved LR, LS and stock from my established 6g. If you do cycle, I would imagine that the tank would be harder to clean as it is plastic. Advice would be to go bare bottom, with rock piled in center so you can clean after cycle (algae blooms for sure). Then add some sand (no LS) and rearrange rock.

PC light is decent, I am getting a lot of coralline algea growth on the LR, side and filter intake (lighter shade of purple tho). I have a small zoanthid colony (6 polyps), and I just added a frag off my GSP. Need to find that striped mushroom that was floating around the other day and add that also!

Archived