ReefCleaners.org

AZ-NO3

steelhealr

Awesome thread. I like how the aquarium hobby progresses. I'll have to read more about anaerobic layers in sand. I can't imagine how sand that is 6 inches below the surface can make any difference at all to water that flows over the surface... Someone could educate me if they want :)

Awesome thread. I like how the aquarium hobby progresses. I'll have to read more about anaerobic layers in sand. I can't imagine how sand that is 6 inches below the surface can make any difference at all to water that flows over the surface... Someone could educate me if they want :)

At the very least you'd have water movement from brownian motion....

:happy:

but the micro and macro infauna evidently helps but diffusion always occurs...

Part of the process is that it IS so slow.... it gives the anaerobic bacteria a chance to work... and stay anaerobic....

On the lighter side,, if you injected cyanide down there you would see the results in the main tank... :o

Wow....a thought for a DIY. What would happen if you removed the LR/chaeto fuge from the middle chamber and altered the openings in the back chambers to run across the surface. The back chambers, if I recall correctly, are at least 16"'s deep. You could fill the entire back middle chamber with sand, alter the baffles to run flow across the top. The bottom would becomea anaerobic.

Issues would be:

-depth is good but is the volume of sand enough? remember, we're talking about a bucket of sand vs a chamber

-would rechanneled flow across the top of the middle chamber be too fast and/or enough to keep the levels from dropping; certainly flow at the bottom would be nil and good enough for anaerobic colonization

-how would the rate of denitrification compare to nutrient export by macroalgae

Food for thought. SH

Excellent DIY and this could be a great thread once you start to get results. It would be amazing if you found that this would reduce nitrates enough to do away with a fuge in the middle chamber. Atarmon..make sure you come back to this thread and leave a link to your results. SH

I’ve always been a big fan of DSB’s, but I really think the back chambers are too narrow with too small of a surface area to be functional. There has always been a lot of discussion on how much surface area is needed for the DSB to be functional and many people who believe that the micro fauna avoid the perimeter areas of DSBs.

That said I would still like to see someone like Artarmon experiment with DSB in a back chamber. One additional item you might want to add to the DSB is a 1” deep plenum space under the DSB. Fiberglass screen material over eggcrate works well to create the plenum space. The 1” deep plenum space provides a pocket of low oxygen water to help with the anaerobic colonization.

well my proposed mechanism was a total bust. My first thought of bacteria was more along the lines. eh oh well. The rc thread is starting to get pretty scientific, randy farley holmes is posting in it now. Might be worth keeping up on.

I still think that someone who can plumb an RDSB (remote deep sand bed) to a nano as a DIY will win a NANO NOBEL if it works. Just clumsy to have to keep a bucket of sand around. SH

Archived