Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Newbie, just a few questions

Zeb

Hey there...

After owning 12 FW aquariums, I decided to give SW a try...although it will never be my main interest, sorry to say.

I've decided to convert my Eclipse 6 tank into a nano...I'm easy to please, so I don't think I'll be getting corals....Fish only.

I'd like to make sure I'm understanding everything correct, though.

About setting up, what I need....

Leave the powerfilter in the eclipse, right?

Add 6-7 lbs. of cured Live rock, and 3-4 lbs of live sand.

Keep my Ebo-Jager heater in, and add a powerhead.

Add some dead shrimp, wait, and cycle the tank. THEN add fish.

Correct?

That leaves me with a couple questions.....

Is it acceptable to just leave the eclipse as-is, and just put in a 12" actinic bulb? Maybe later add compact lights....or maybe never?

Since I already have some, could I just use aragonite as a substitute for sand?

And the last question is about stocking/clean up crew...

#1- what, in your opinion, is the max bio load? 2 inches of fish?

I'm considering Bangaii cardinal, firefish, or percula clowns.

#2 - Cleanup crews. What do I do? I have no experience with that.... so, do I add say two turbo snails and leave it at that?

Any help is very much appreciated.

-Zeb

Just a question. What is your main interest? If it is aquarium related you are probably going to be dissapointed with your nano. The reason I say this is because A LOT more maintenance has to be done to a nano than any freshwater tank. It's like a second job with better benefits. My 29g keeps me hella busy. I might be cleaning it or changing water but most of the time I'm glued to it looking at all my beautiful, healthy creatures. Once you start, if you are a natural reefer, you'll be hooked and have a "co-main interest."

Matt

You seem to have most of it down as far as a simple fish-only with LR. In most cases, you'll have a small die off from adding the LR/LS - that should be your gauge as to when its safe to start adding other creatures.

As far as filtration - loose the filter pad/bio wheel on the eclipse hood. With most LR setups you're just looking to get water movement.

Your argonite should be fine for substrate.

Just remember - with SW tanks, you need to be more diligent with your maintenance regime - especially with top off - compared to FW.

As far livestock - just one small fish and your clean up crew. I'd stay away from turbo's on a small tank - look for some astrea or margarita snails and some small hermits - left handed and scarlet reef hermits are generally okay.

You say you're easy to please... but just a warning. SW becomes an addiction... one things leads to another and soon enough - bam - you'll have a full blown reef.

HTH

Ed

I agree!

Before, I was a freshwater fanatic only. When I went to my LFS, I would never pay much attention to saltwater tanks. When I finally got the urge to start a SW tank, it gets to be an addiction. I am running out of money and I still keep buying stuff. hehe. Anyway, goodluck!

lol...well, maybe I wil become an addict. My main interest is Cichlids...I only keep them. Like I said, 12 tanks ranging a little over 500 total gallons. I spend about 6-8 hours cleaning them once a week.

I happen to be colorblind, which is why I don't think SW makes me as hypnotized as others....I also know SW is expensive! So, I've been trying to stay away.

I will make one confession....I most definately want to own a clown trigger fish. But since that will mean a solitary 100 gallon, it will have to wait.

About being dissapointed -- oh, I dunno. To me the excitement is setting up the tanks, and it will be a challenge. What's in there right now is a complete bore, so It's got to get better.

You never answered the actinic question though...is it good enough?

Thanks for the help....I'll try to see if I can find some hermits/astrea snails.

( and if I like this, I do have a 40 long sitting on the floor waiting for something to be put in it. :) )

sounds great...i agree almost completely with edying...except to say that i wouldn't shy away from turbos in this case. when it is a reef turbos are very likely to bulldoze and/or topple smaller rocks or corals. but if you aren't going to have delicate pieces here and there go with the turbos...they do a great job cleaning, and are less likely to get stuck on their back-hermit food-not to mention tank fouling when they die because of this! a couple problems with the 12" actinic plan-first of which is-if you use actinic lighting only your tank will appear very blue-and dimly lit-or in your case since you are colorblind maybe just gray but still dim. a 50/50 bulb would show the fish well and be pretty bright, prolly your best option...that is if you can find one! the vast majority of aquarium lighting manufacturers don't produce a 12 actinic or 50/50 bulb-look to germany maybe because they seem to be more into the T5 configuration (thin lamp style that eclipse 6s use). GL and have fun, HTH

~TG

Edit:BTW-your eclipse's standard bulb will work fine if their are no photosynthetic corals/inverts in the tank. may not look as pretty and algae growth rates may be a lil off...but no NEED to change

Well, I work at a pet store...I think my boss already ordered the bulb. I thought actinic lighting just produced more blues? That is OK with me!

Of any color, I can see blues the best.....

but like I said, as time goes I can upgrade and get a small highpowered light kit.

Besides, If I choose bangaii cardinals, they should do better with dimmer lighting.

yep your fish won't mind! blue and violet wavelengths make up the majority of light that is able to penetrate into deeper water...actinic bulb peak emittance is usually at 420nm-thus the blue/violet appearance of objects under this light. search member's tanks and look for actinic digital pics-it'll give you an idea of what you're getting into. if nothing else the neighbors will be curious about what the hell that blue light coming from zelda's window is.

~Tg

fish-i'd start out with one. people have cautioned me about including bangaiis in such a small tank because the bang their long fins and break them-sounds fishy-but the way that bangaiis move darting whenever they're startled-i can see it happening. perculas are a lil cliche for a nano but really make great pets! prolly the perfect nano fish after something like neon or clown gobies. if the perc/ocellaris does well MAYBE think about a small goby (neon/clown) but you will be pushing the limits of your biological filter. HTH!

~tg

Archived